For about a year now we have been experimenting with using this forum as a mechanism to maintain the documentation for the project. This has been working quite well in several fronts:
- Increased visibility for the content
- Content trivially editable by everyone
- Forum’s spam control helps preventing abuse
- Searches hit the documentation too
- Documentation can be easily discussed
- Nice change tracking
That said, there are some downsides too:
- Lack of a consolidated picture
- Documentation topics get lost amid discussions
- Too much noise due to forum features
Well, not anymore! Here is a new experimental site that attempts to fix those downsides:
This is on a temporary domain for now, and still lacks content compared to the official site. But with a little more work we can probably turn this into our official reference.
- Site is entirely based on forum content.
- Content is cached for an hour before being refreshed.
- There’s no topic registration. They just work as long as it’s in the #doc category.
- The initial page and outline both come from the outline topic.
- Below every page there’s a link back to the respective forum topic.
- It’s supposed to work very well on phones.
Please let me know how it goes.