Documentation outline

This is the experimental snap, snapd, and snapcraft documentation that is being worked on to eventually become the main source of information about how to use and publish snaps, and how to develop the tools around them.

Most of this documentation can be collaboratively discussed and changed in the respective topic in the forum. See the documentation guidelines if you’d like to contribute.

Choose the topic you’d like to read about.

Content

Using

Publishing

Developing

Experimental documentation site
Remote Part: tomcat-with-ssl
Experimental documentation site

Added a new Commands and aliases section.

… and Service management.

Could we pin this topic (the one with the navigation) to the top of the “doc” category?

I always arrive at https://forum.snapcraft.io/c/doc looking for it, can’t find it, and ultimately have to go to https://snapdocs.labix.org/ and click “the forum topic” in the footer to find it.

Would it be okay to add a <hr> (---in markdown) above the “Content” heading on this topic?

It would more clearly separate the introduction from the navigation for the user, and would make it easier for

Good idea - I’ve been doing the same. Now pinned.

We can’t add that line because that content goes into the actual documentation header and welcome page. If we add a line here, a line gets added there. See page snapdocs.labix.org for a live (cached for 1h) snapshot of the content here.

Yep makes sense. We can tweak that after the new version lands.

Can you pin the first post in this thread instead of the 8th comment which is what you’ve got pinned right now? Oh well fudge, the forum does that automatically according to where it detected you’ve read down to. That’s helpful if you weren’t reading a page for documentation.

Just when is this documentation experiment, that has been thoroughly told to me isn’t an experiment anymore and is the only way we’re going to do things, going to replace the docs.snapcraft.io documentation???! Trying to remember the domain snapdocs.labix.org is a pain and rather impossible. Also it looks unprofessional when we point users there.

Thanks for the prod, and you’re absolutely right. We’re currently working on moving these docs over ASAP - even to the point of having daily meetings on the process. We can’t quite commit to a date yet, but we’re hoping the docs transfer will be soon.

@degville Could we please update the redirected links in the navigation to their new targets?

• /t/configuration-options/87 -> /t/system-options/87
  • /t/enabling-swap-on-core/5440 -> /t/enabling-swap-on-ubuntu-core/5440
  • /t/permission-requests/455 -> /t/process-for-aliases-auto-connections-and-tracks/455
  • /t/tab-completion/2261 -> /t/tab-completion-for-snaps/2261
  • /t/mavin-plugin/4282 -> /t/the-maven-plugin/4282

Of if you could give me access to edit it myself, I’ll go ahead and do it.

@nottrobin I’ve just updated those links.