A snap can be created from apps you’ve already built and zipped, or from your preferred programming language or framework.
The following is an outline of the typical snap build process:
- Install Snapcraft, the tool used to build snaps, and initialise your build environment
- Construct a snapcraft.yaml file to describes your snap’s build dependencies and run-time requirements
- Run snapcraft to build your snap
- Test and iterate over snapcraft.yaml until you’re satisfied with your snap
- Publish and share your snap on the Snap Store
ⓘ For more details on the above process, including how to install snapcraft and how it’s used, see Snapcraft overview.
Quick start guides
To get a quick hands-on synopsis of the snapcraft build process, choose a language or platform walk-through from the following: