Request: autoconnect "removable-media" for picard

MusicBrainz Picard (https://snapcraft.io/picard/) is an audio tagging application, which allows tagging your audio files with data from the free MusicBrainz database and move and rename the files in one’s audio collection. As such users load their audio files into Picard, and those are often either located on removable media or they use Picard to move them into a folder structure on a removable media.

Currently the picard snap uses the home plug, so at least audio files in the user’s home are accessible. But many users complaint about the inability to access files on external drives. We tried to work around this by explaining how to grant the snap access to “removable-media” in the documentation and even on the snap store description.

I think it would be beneficial to have this auto connected to better meet the user’s expectations.

1 Like

As per the Process for aliases, auto-connections and tracks, picard fits the criteria of a media application that (appears to be) published by the upstream project and as such would qualify for auto-connect of removable-media - as such +1 from me. However, I notice that the publisher metabrainz-apps is not verified - @Igor can we do publisher vetting and set metabrainz-apps as a verified publisher?

2 Likes

@phw can you tell me the contact email for musicbrainz - if you want to keep it private, you can dm it to me.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, I sent a PM

+1 from me, I verified the publisher.

1 Like

+1 from me too for auto connect of removable-media, given that this is clearly a media application and loading files from removable media is expected functionality for users of this type of application.

+3 votes for, 0 votes against, granted auto-connect of removable-media for picard. This is now live.

1 Like