Providing a way for monetization of snaps?

Note: This post was originally made on Ubuntu Discourse at https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/providing-a-way-for-monetization-of-snaps/22594. I think it’s important we keep this discussion as widely available as possible.

Disclaimer: I am aware of and acknowledge the controversy behind this topic, in addition to snaps. It’s important for us to keep a healthy discussion about it and not turn it into a political turf war. I’ve seen many discussions go on the wayside like this in various subjects ranging from US politics and government to education, and it isn’t all that helpful; it gets everyone riled up, and the polarization intensifies. Please, remember there’s a human behind the wall of text you read on the screen. They may share different opinions and have different values than you, but that doesn’t make them any less of a person. If I’m not mistaken, that’s the whole point of ubuntu: humanity towards others.

@popey on Twitter brought up a really good point about lack of decent monetization of apps and programs for the Linux desktop, and that snapd does provide some of the legwork required to make such a thing work, if it were to be implemented. There’s been some discussion in the Ubuntu Podcast Chatter group on Telegram about it, but I figured I’d bring it up here to have a discussion about it.

I won’t repeat what popey has said on Twitter, but I’d like to add that having this monetization would be a nice addition since it would help remove some of the overhead and “workarounds” developers have to make to get funded and paid for the work they do. This ranges from making custom file formats to make a key system to changing features around or slapping a button to support the developer on platforms like Ko-fi. Yes, these methods work, but they’re hacky at best and could use improvement. I say this as someone who’s had to make some changes to their codebase to get their game onto the Snap Store (Unscripted, for anyone inquiring).

Ideally, I’d like to have a discussion about the technical requirements for making a system like this work, and how we can help support developers financially through the Snap Store.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Monetizing?

Note: This post was originally made on Ubuntu Discourse at https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/providing-a-way-for-monetization-of-snaps/22594. I think it’s important we keep this discussion as widely available as possible.

Disclaimer: I am aware of and acknowledge the controversy behind this topic, in addition to snaps. It’s important for us to keep a healthy discussion about it and not turn it into a political turf war. I’ve seen many discussions go on the wayside like this in various subjects ranging from US politics and government to education, and it isn’t all that helpful; it gets everyone riled up, and the polarization intensifies. Please, remember there’s a human behind the wall of text you read on the screen. They may share different opinions and have different values than you, but that doesn’t make them any less of a person. If I’m not mistaken, that’s the whole point of ubuntu: humanity towards others.

@popey on Twitter brought up a really good point about lack of decent monetization of apps and programs for the Linux desktop, and that snapd does provide some of the legwork required to make such a thing work, if it were to be implemented. There’s been some discussion in the Ubuntu Podcast Chatter group on Telegram about it, but I figured I’d bring it up here to have a discussion about it.

I won’t repeat what popey has said on Twitter, but I’d like to add that having this monetization would be a nice addition since it would help remove some of the overhead and “workarounds” developers have to make to get funded and paid for the work they do. This ranges from making custom file formats to make a key system to changing features around or slapping a button to support the developer on platforms like Ko-fi. Yes, these methods work, but they’re hacky at best and could use improvement. I say this as someone who’s had to make some changes to their codebase to get their game onto the Snap Store (Unscripted, for anyone inquiring).

Ideally, I’d like to have a discussion about the technical requirements for making a system like this work, and how we can help support developers financially through the Snap Store.

3 Likes

Having recently tested the water, I would love to sell Linux versions of my games through the Snap Store.

6 Likes

:frowning:

Over a month has passed with no authoritative replies from Canonical. There was discussion with some engineers over on Ubuntu discourse, but nothing conclusive.

Should we conclude there is no interest in solving this problem? The question has been asked repeatedly here over the last 4 years. Conversations either get closed down or we are told it’s not currently on the roadmap.

Will it ever be, or are snaps always destined to only be useful to people distributing free (of cost) software, or subscription apps via their own payment system?

4 Likes

The GNOME Foundation is seeking contractors to develop monetization support for Flathub: https://discourse.flathub.org/t/seeking-contractors-for-work-on-flathub-project/1889

A very exciting strategic decision; we’ll see how much of an effect it has on a competing ecosystem for desktop apps.