Monetizing?

But on that way, if the payment is external, the store can’t tax it.

I think it’s better to let snappy mature first. I think there are still some problems for the store to start charging price to the publishers who sell software.
Snappy offers as much value as deb if you need theming afaik.
Theming is still not solved if I’m not mistaken. Now, I’m just rambling here but I’d say snaps still don’t offer a complete solution for the proprietary companies to start publishing desktop apps. By this I mean the whole experience for the publisher and the users: for example store experience and app discoverability etc.
But if your target are technical users who will forgive the theming in favor of stability and features, snappy is awesome!

1 Like

I am interested in selling an app on the snap store. Is there any update on this?

4 Likes

I for right now using my own payment method in app.
which ask users for payment after trial - snapcraft.io/wonderwall

1 Like

This may work too but it is some overhead in programming as you have to implement it yourself.

yes it is, if your app is in qt i can provide my code to you or anyone who need it.

1 Like

We don’t have any further updates to the monetization story right now.

whats the update on new snap store ?? is it still being developed ??

Microsoft and Apple Store don’t allow a personal payment system on the app. So, if a developer would like to release his app also to Canonical, it expect something similar. Otherwise he will wait the next IBM acquisition. :wink:

I would hope that Canonical would not follow the monopolistic practices of Microsoft and Apple (and android) stores, and would instead allow apps to be included as free but do there own licencing.

If you use Canonical’s payment system then it’s fair that Canonical takes a cut, but you shouldn’t be forced to. Doing so would not be in the spirit of free software context in which Canonical exists.

4 Likes

I agree, I was meaning that a developer should not be forced to develop their own payment system.

It is definitely in the longer term roadmap to provide a payment system and we have been gathering input from publishers to help shape the design. We are not opposed to publishers using an outside payment system currently and we expect that would continue once we have one, allowing for opt-in if our solution offers a better or more convenient service.

6 Likes

allowing for opt-in if our solution offers a better or more convenient service.

This is key, because it will give canonical a great incentive to make there solution as good and convenient as they can.

2 Likes

My private thoughts:

I hope that it will support a variety of monetization options both with store options and an API for integrating into the app, including:

• Fixed price
  • Pay what you want
  • Tipping (that is, just a convenient way to send some money to the developers without purchasing or downloading the app)
  • In-app purchases
  • In-app advertisements
  • Subscriptions

Set price and pay what you want would give the option to pay once forever or pay once for every major release, with different prices for new purchases vs upgrades.

Subscriptions would offer a subscribe to use model and a subscribe for updates model.

The API would let the app check if the user currently logged in to the Snap Store has the right to use the app. It would then be able to react according to the developer’s preference, such as presenting a more limited free version, putting up nag screens, or blocking the user.

The Snap Store should cache the ownership status per app so that the user wouldn’t have to be online to use it. Of course, this means that if the app uses a subscribe to use model and the user disconnects from the internet and then unsubscribes, or blocks the Snap Store from contacting the servers, then the user will be able to use the app indefinitely for free. Similarly, it might be possible to feed the app fake data to make the app think that the user owns it. The point isn’t to prevent piracy through some strict DRM but rather to discourage piracy by making piracy inconvenient without impacting legitimate users.

Those are my 2 cents.

3 Likes

Start with links to patreon/donation pages for verified accounts on store listings. This will incentivize projects to get verified and create/maintain their snaps.

Super easy, barely an inconvenience. :smile:

1 Like

You’re app is amazing! Please update it for Hi-Res displays :slight_smile:

We definitely need ways to get paid. This will better application development and allow developers to focus on apps more.

2 Likes

As developer is difficult for me to understand that you are still on alpha phase and without a commercial solution.

Snappy is definitely not in an alpha phase. It has been used in production for years.

There are a number of licensing toolkits available for Linux, which should all work inside of a snap. The snap store contains many commercial applications using such toolkits.

A quick Google search gave me these two, who both appear to have Linux support.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Providing a way for monetization of snaps?