Interface connection request for the ms-sys snap

Dear @reviewers, I would like to request the following interface connections for https://snapcraft.io/ms-sys according to the process for aliases, auto-connections and tracks.

Interface Name Reasoning
block-devices This is a utility to write Master Boot Record(MBR) to a disk, such access is essential to its major functions
raw-volume This is a utility to write Volume Boot Record(VBR) to a partition, such access is essential to its major functions

The snap is currently set for building however the usage of the block-devices interface triggered manual review, thanks in advance!

UPDATE: It appears that the raw-volume interface requested here isn’t applyable to non-Core snaps, refer Feature request: Interface that allows generic raw partition access for more info.

Hello. You recently post a feature request for the interface you are requesting here. Reading the request it seems that granting this interfaces are not enough for now. Can you confirm?

Yes. It appears that the raw-volume interface doesn’t apply to non-Core snaps.

+1 from me for use of block-devices to ms-sys since its clearly required to write the MBR. I am -1 for auto-connect it though since it grants total device ownership to the snap (@Lin-Buo-Ren you did not request auto-connect though, but clarifying just in case). Can other @reviewers please vote?

1 Like

I would also say +1 for use but -1 for auto-connect, because this is a “dangerous” utility and should be use with caution (as it can render a machine unbootable), so it’s best if the user actively turns on the necessary connection.

1 Like

+2 votes for, 0 votes against, granting use (but not auto-connect) of block-devices to ms-sys. This is now live.

1 Like