There is the block-devices interface, but it doesn’t cover disk partition nodes.
There is the raw-volume interface, but it only functions on gadget snaps instead of the core snap (only usable on Ubuntu Core systems).
Some applications require access to raw partitions for:
- Initialize a file system (
- Install a volume boot record(VBR) for certain file systems (FAT/NTFS/…)
- Encrypt a file system (Veracrypt/…)
- Create/restore disk image (
- Create block level or filesystem level backups (Fsarchiver/CloneZilla)
Please implement/extend an interface so that one can use it for raw partition access, thanks!
here is some example magic that utilizes a combo of the udisks2 and block-devices interfaces for disk manipulation:
i believe a lot of the above requested bits can be done through the udisks interface …
That is indeed inspiring, however, it doesn’t cover existing applications that make use of traditional access.