Call for testing: TrackMania Nations Forever

Inspired by some of our community contributors who’ve been snapping Windows applications we decided to have a go at creating snaps of Windows games as a bank holiday weekend project.

After several evenings of “extensive QA” :wink: we’d like to invite you to test the snap of the free to play Track Mania Nations Forever, the most popular online PC racing game E-V-E-R! :racing_car: :checkered_flag:

snap install tmnationsforever
snap connect tmnationsforever:joystick

The single snap is multi-architecture (i386 and amd64) and downloads/installs the game into a WINE environment on the first run. It’s been tested on nvidia GPUs (with proprietary drivers) and Intel IGPs but we’d be interested in wider testing on IGPs and GPUs.

There’s one more optimisation @popey and I would like to add to the launcher but for the purposes of wider testing, it’s good to go. Our hope is this will become the basis for a template to create snaps of any Windows application/game supported by WINE :wine_glass:

The snapcraft.yaml and sommelier launcher are available on GitHub:

12 Likes

Can you imagine massive games like League of Legends being available for install straight from GNOME Software? I can… it’ll be really impressive if y’all can pull it off!

2 Likes

The first start takes quite some time to actually show a progress bar (over 1min here), i guess a zenity popup “please wait…” message before it does any operations might be helpful here.

1 Like

I look forward to stealing sommelier for my own evil porpoises :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And that is the remaining optimisation we’d like to add :slight_smile:

I stick what we have in GitHub later.

@mcphail Here you - https://github.com/snapcrafters/tmnationsforever

@ogra - This is what needs optimising - pull requests welcome :wink:

1 Like

Great idea to make wine usage more accessible, hoping this can be applied to more games down the line.

However, after the installation finishes all I get is a popup saying ‘Could not find DirectX9’.

Launching from the terminal outputs this:

libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
0009:err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo  couldn't initialize OpenGL, expect problems
0009:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33ec24,0x00000000), stub!

I have an Nvidia GTX 980 Ti on driver version 396.24.02, glxinfo outputs the usual info and native games work fine.

I’ve written an article about it on linuxandubuntu :blush:

3 Likes

I got an error that says DirectX9 couldn’t be found

@YamiYukiSenpai What GPU and drivers are you using?

@junglerobba As we discussed last night we identified that the nvidia 396 drivers are sadly not working with any snap right now :frowning:

The workaround is to use the 390 drivers from the 18.04 archive.

1 Like

We released tmnationsforever to the stable channel after some “extensive QA” on a live stream last night :slight_smile:

There may be a serious issue with the snap - https://github.com/snapcrafters/tmnationsforever/issues/5 .

1 Like

I agree with @mcphail! I’m a great driver, as evidenced by my “learner” driving license, and yet somehow I am terrible at this game! There is a serious bug in my opinion that is preventing me from entering the leader board…

1 Like

GeForce GT 820M

lspci | grep -i 'nvidia'
03:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/810M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M] (rev ff)

!
!

@YamiYukiSenpai Are you using the proprietary nvidia driver? If so, what version? Also what distro?

Hi.

When installing Trackmania Nations normally in wine, there would be a launcher before the game starts that you could configure graphics options, which is useful for really old computers.

However, this snap skips the launcher and launches directly into the game.

Can you modify the snap so it doesn’t skip the launcher?

Thanks for this snap btw!

@pizzadude You can execute tmnationsforever.launcher to access what you describe :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Wimpress thanks, here’s some more characters so i’m allowed to post because 20 characters or more is required to post