Call for testing: libreoffice 6.0.1

@ogra Thank you very much. It is working well now.
The last thing please, I’m using wubiuefi and I can’t open any files on the /host location so what interface for allowing it?

As I understand it, it’s something that the snap gets access to by listing it in its plugs in its snapcraft.yaml (the file that determines what goes in the snap). It’s more fine-grained and secure than using classic confinement (which pretty much just grants access to your entire system like you give for traditionally packaged applications).

Thank you very much.
But I think opening files from USB or any partition should be enabled by default especially for word, Excel,… files.

There’ll be a GUI for it in GNOME Software at some point and it could be autoconnected if someone requests for it to be in #store (it might have been requested already…)

I have pushed 6.0.1.1 to the candidate channel, and updated the thread to reflect that minor version update. Everyone, please test and share your feedback here!

1 Like

The auto-connection of the removable-media interface has been requested here already, let’s see if the store team can acknowledge it.

2 Likes

xdg directories in the file chooser dialog points to the snap $HOME folder (eg. 48) instead of the $USER’s home folder. In atom and mailspring snaps they point the the $USER’s xdg folders.

That’s a known bug. Atom is not affected most likely because it’s a classic snap, and I haven’t tried mailspring. Is it using a standard GTK file dialog?

I installed as sudo snap install libreoffice --candidate --classic and as sudo snap install libreoffice --candidate, in both cases there is bug #1748273 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/1748273

You forgot to include localizations into the snap, ot at least on my system the russian localization is not used when running your snap

That’s an unthemed gtk2 file dialog. The libreoffice snap uses gtk3, which might explain why it’s behaving differently.

libreoffice is not a classic snap, so you can’t install it as such. Thus the --classic switch will have no effect.

Indeed the snap was built with --with-lang=en-US de es fr it pt pt-BR ja zh-TW, so russian localizations were not included. I have added them here, and triggered a new build.

An interface in snap is the same thing as a permission in Android. It allows the app to use certain features: network access, graphics acceleration, access to files outside of its sandbox, USB devices etc.

If you have some snaps installed you can type snap interfaces and it will show you what is using what.

An updated revision is now in the candidate channel, with Russian localization. Please test and let me know if it all works as expected:

snap refresh libreoffice --candidate

The size of the snap increased by 7.9MB.

It works. Please rebuild the stable channel with Russian (I have a native build of Libreoffice Fresh 6.0 installed via PPA and want to use LO Fresh daily, but have a stable version installed in parralel, and the snap helps to achieve this.

Is it possible to have the ‘candidate’ and ‘stable’ channels installed in parallel?

parallel installation of snaps is on the roadmap under “upcoming”:

1 Like

As pointed out by @ogra, having two channels installed in parallel is not possible yet, but is on the roadmap. In the meantime, if no major issue is raised the version currently in the candidate channel (6.0.1) will soon be promoted to the stable channel (I will update that thread when it is). Until then, please keep the feedback coming!