Auto-connect removable-media for netron

https://snapcraft.io/netron allows users to open files or drag them into the app from removable media or mounted partitions. The app then visualizes these files.

Evidence is that users don’t understand the snap removable-media interface concept and that manual action and reading Linux specific documentation is needed to connect the snap. To users this design manifests itself as a crashing app which results in bug reports that the app is crashing. App authors do not have a way to address the issue.

Long story short, the only options seem to be either auto-connecting the interface for this snap or forcing users back to --classic?

Tracking issue: https://github.com/lutzroeder/netron/issues/504

Thank you for your request. Due note that your statement “Evidence is that users don’t understand the snap removable-media interface concept and that manual action and reading Linux specific documentation is needed to connect the snap.” is not a reason in and of itself for auto-connection.

That said, after several discussions between snapd architects, security, advocacy and other reviewers, we’ve updated our removable-media criteria in our processes.

Applying the new criteria to this request, netron does not directly fit into one of the known categories (eg, browsers, media player, editor, recorder), but it is a ‘visualizer’ and therefore in the spirit of a ‘media player/viewer’ so I think we can consider these additional points from our process:
"
the following criteria will also be considered:

• the application itself is a mature, well-known application
    the application appears to be about 3 years old
  • the snap’s (vetted) publisher is a mature, well-known entity
  • the snap’s (vetted) publisher is the upstream of the software
    the publisher appears to be the upstream author
  • if the snap is published by someone other than upstream, the publisher must be vetted and either be an established committer to the upstream or the wider snap ecosystem (eg, an established well-known contributor to the software itself, a member of the snapcrafters group, etc)

I believe that since the publisher is the author and the sofware is not brand new, it fits all the criteria.

@reviewers, considering our updated processes for removable-media, can others please vote?

(note, if the votes are in the affirmative, there will be an additional vetting step by @advocacy)

@reviewers - ping, can others please vote?

I also feel netron meets the updated requirements for removable-media so +1 from me too

+1 from me for removable-media, and I agree we can consider the publisher of the snap the upstream author, and it’s a mature product. Vetting done.

+3 votes for, 0 votes against, granting auto-connect of removable-media for netron - this is now live.