Would someone create an electron snap for this forum?

It would be really cool to be able to use this forum standalone in a webapp so you do not need to dig in a million of tabs in your browser for it …

Would anyone be willing to roll an electron snap package for it ?

3 Likes

Haha, agreed. I could make the electron app, I’m still learning to snap electron apps up.

Here it is @ogra, let’s snap it up! Edit: Helps if I include the link.

4 Likes

It is done!

To install use:

sudo snap install snapcraft-forum --edge

2 Likes

Installed and using it now :smiley:

1 Like

perfect ! posted from your app :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ryanleesipes Didn’t work here:

You’re not the first one. I can’t replicate on my machine. Any ideas @Wimpress on what is going on here? Anything to do with the snap side of things?

@niemeyer this seems to be the bug you are encountering…?
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17202741/why-does-mmap-fail-with-permission-denied-for-the-destination-file-of-a-file-c

I don’t know… can’t dig in right now but will try to check later.

@elopio when you get a chance, can you check to see if you get that same error. I know it wasn’t loading properly for you.

I get many of these apparmor denials:

= AppArmor =
Time: Mar 31 11:43:32
Log: apparmor=“ALLOWED” operation=“file_mmap” profile=“snap.snapcraft-forum.snapcraft-forum” name="/dev/shm/.org.chromium.Chromium.VptaMT" pid=5384 comm=“Chrome_IOThread” requested_mask=“m” denied_mask=“m” fsuid=1000 ouid=1000
File: /dev/shm/.org.chromium.Chromium.VptaMT (write)
Suggestion:

• adjust program to create files and directories in /dev/shm/snap.$SNAP_NAME.*

Using the snap in --devmode works for me. I’m in zesty:

$ snap version
snap    2.23.1+17.04
snapd   2.23.1+17.04
series  16
ubuntu  17.04
kernel  4.10.0-14-generic

that might be the issue here, i’m on xenial

Have not tested in Zesty, it uses strict confinement - so I’m not sure what the problem is there. I can’t imagine it is any setting in the app. @Wimpress - any ideas if this needs to be addressed in Zesty or via electron-builder, or even in my package.json?

some helpful additions (i hope)
https://github.com/ryanleesipes/snapcraft-forum/pull/2

1 Like

i played with a zesty VM on the weekend and saw the same mmap() error, looking at dmesg output i actually see apparmor denials for /dev/shm/ …

installing the snap with --devmode works around it …

could that be a kernel thing ? i.e. using a -hwe kernel on xenial or a new kernel on zesty ?

@ogra - those are allowed by the browser-support and pulseaudio interfaces. Are they specified? Are they connected?

yes and yes, as i said, the very same snap works flawless on my 16.04 installs whihc both use the original 4.4 kernel … trying out a 16.10 ubuntu-gnome and a 17.04 ubuntu-gnome on the weekend i coundt get it to run on both without --devmode, which makes me think it is a kernel issue.

I can confirm this on zesty (4.10.0-15.17-generic):

$ sudo snap install snapcraft-forum --edge
$ snapcraft-forum
mmap() failed: Permission denied

with the following denials:

Apr 10 09:47:42 localhost kernel: [245540.761710] audit: type=1400 audit(1491835662.097:1159): apparmor="DENIED" operation="file_mmap" profile="snap.snapcraft-forum.snapcraft-forum" name="/dev/shm/pulse-shm-3385262665" pid=4756 comm="snapcraft-forum" requested_mask="m" denied_mask="m" fsuid=1000 ouid=1000
Apr 10 09:47:43 localhost kernel: [245542.442016] audit: type=1400 audit(1491835663.777:1160): apparmor="DENIED" operation="file_mmap" profile="snap.snapcraft-forum.snapcraft-forum" name="/dev/shm/.org.chromium.Chromium.NRaA58" pid=4756 comm="Chrome_IOThread" requested_mask="m" denied_mask="m" fsuid=1000 ouid=1000

This may be related to some mediation fixes surrounding mmap. Let me talk to the apparmor devs and if needed I can propose a PR.

The zesty kernel has the updates for mmap mediation (related to the flock bug) that require changes to the policy. This will affect other Ubuntu releases when those patches are reintroduced. I’ll prepare a PR.