Week 31 of 2017 in snapcraft

Welcome to the weekly development notes for snapcraft! This covers work from July 30 until August 6 of 2017.

Release

The release notes for snapcraft 2.33 are out.

This release is availabe on the candidate channel of snapcraft, if already installed, the snap will be refreshed on its own, if not it is installable by running:

sudo snap install snapcraft --classic --candidate

Or installable with apt on the supported releases of Ubuntu (16.04 Xenial Xerus and 17.04 Zesty Zaurus), and the current development release of Ubuntu (17.10 Artful Aardvark) by running:

sudo apt install snapcraft

For the first time ever, snapcraft is also available on PyPI, it has been made installable on OSX and Windows, just run:

pip install snapcraft

on your python3 environment to get it, store commands and cleanbuild should work. That said, it has been made even easier on OSX as you can just:

brew install snapcraft

Development in master

• lxd: wait on lock files before running apt commands PR: #1435
  • lxd: inject snapcraft and core snaps into the container PR: #1364
  • core: cache FileBase entries when a checksum is provided PR: #1433
  • lxd: clean with no parts should only delete PR: #1434

This weeks Pull Requests

• kbuild: support makefiles without install targets PR: #1432
  • xd: wait on lock files before running apt commands PR: #1435
  • cli: properly handle exceptions in lifecycle (an alternative proposal to PR: #1429)PR: #1436

Current active design forum discussions

Ecosystem

goreleaser

They even publish a snap for goreleaser from goreleaser, check out their releases page

If you are on OS X, this together with brew install snapcraft can lead to an easy end to end story to get published on the Snap Store (more seemless integration coming soon). The same story is true for Windows users who want to pip install snapcraft.

Conferences

Kyle has just come back from presenting at the MOOS conference. We await his notes on the experience, but the general feedback is that people like snaps.

This month on the 18th and 19th, you can catch part of the snapcraft team, Leo and Sergio, speaking at the UbuconLA 2017, these are the sessions (they will be carried out in Spanish):

2 Likes

I am super interested in peoples experiences using snapcraft this way, please do let us know how you get on.

2 Likes

IIt seems there’s an issue when installing it under Ubuntu:

Collecting python-distutils-extra (from snapcraft)
  Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement python-distutils-extra (from snapcraft) (from versions: )
No matching distribution found for python-distutils-extra (from snapcraft)

Yes, on Ubuntu, as mentioned in the release notes, there are some caveats as apt is not on PyPI nor is python-distutils-extra which apt depends on.

I am not able to refresh snap on by dell gw 5000 here is the os version I am using

NAME=“Ubuntu”
VERSION=“16.04.1 LTS (Xenial Xerus)”
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME=“Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS”
VERSION_ID=“16.04”

I am getting following error when I am trying to refresh
" ERROR received an unexpected http response code (404) when trying to download https://api.snapcraft.io/api/v1/snaps/download/99T7MUlRhtI3U0QFgl5mXXESAiSwt776_2381.snap1 "

Is their any other way to snapcraft 2.33