Tried to install quelea (presentation software) from Chrome/Linux-beta

https://forum-snapcraft-io.s3.amazonaws.com/original/2X/2/2bc5dc294f42bfb036245e6a7c8118c7bef3c17b.png

@Ads20000 The error you’re seeing about the path not found is of course mine (it should now be fixed, but I haven’t yet had a chance to spin up a VM to check.) Thanks for the kind words - Quelea’s definitely on the smaller side of the open source projection software offerings, but it’s been steadily gaining traction over the last few years!

For some context - @freshme originally posted on the Quelea discussion forum about the “unable to mount snap core” error, but I sent him here as this seems to be an issue well outside of Quelea if the core snap can’t even be mounted, and I’m anything but a snap expert (I’ve just been bumbling my way along trying to create a viable package!)

ogra@anubis:~$ apt-cache show snap|grep -A3 ^Description
Description-en: location of genes from DNA sequence with hidden markov model
 SNAP is a general purpose gene finding program suitable for both eukaryotic
 and prokaryotic genomes. SNAP is an acroynm for Semi-HMM-based Nucleic Acid
 Parser.

unless you are into DNA sequencing you probably dont want the “snap” package installed … “snapd” is the tool managing snap packages …

that said, i dont think the chromebook kernel has the necessary features enabled to run snap packages at all (i might be wrong, perhaps @zyga-snapd knows more here)

1 Like

So thats it.? I cant use Qlelea in Linux?
Previous post asked about Jar file is it possible to try to install that instead?

Wait for @zyga-snapd to respond, I don’t know what the status with snappy on Chrome OS’ kernel is, other Linux distributions may work fine, but crouton (which may void your warranty if you use that! I’m not sure) for example, uses the Chrome OS kernel (I think), so even if you used snappy on Ubuntu via crouton, it may not work because I think you’d still be using the Chrome OS kernel?

You could try the Jar, yes, though you would need to install Java; I don’t know if it automatically updates, however.

I now get the following

Terminal output of `snap run quelea`
$ snap run quelea

(process:15184): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
	Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Jan 02, 2019 2:39:29 AM org.quelea.services.languages.LabelGrabber <init>
INFO: Using languages file /snap/quelea/320/jar/languages/gb.lang
Jan 02, 2019 2:39:29 AM org.quelea.services.languages.LabelGrabber <init>
INFO: Setting en-uk locale
Jan 02, 2019 2:39:30 AM org.quelea.windows.main.Main start
INFO: Started, version 2019.0
INFO: OS name: Linux
INFO: Using JAVA version 1.8.0_191
INFO: 64-bit: true
SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for further details.
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007fc799a2fac8, pid=15184, tid=0x00007fc738359700
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (8.0_191-b12) (build 1.8.0_191-8u191-b12-0ubuntu0.16.04.1-b12)
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (25.191-b12 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [ld-linux-x86-64.so.2+0xcac8]
#
# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /tmp/hs_err_pid15184.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#
Aborted (core dumped)

/tmp/hs_err_pid15184.log

Quelea 2019.0 (320)
$ snap info quelea
tracking:     edge
refresh-date: yesterday at 11:31 GMT
  edge:      2019.0 (320) 364MB -
installed:   2019.0 (320) 364MB -
$ snap version
snap    2.36.3+git1065.557f8c3~ubuntu16.04.1
snapd   2.36.3+git1065.557f8c3~ubuntu16.04.1
series  16
ubuntu  18.10
kernel  4.18.0-13-generic
$ snap info core
refresh-date: 7 days ago, at 07:36 GMT
  edge:      16-2.36.3+git1065.557f8c3 (6202) 95MB -
installed:   16-2.36.3+git1065.557f8c3 (6202) 95MB core

@Ads20000 Ew. I don’t like that error at all. Unfortunately that looks like a native crash when Java tries to initialise X - I’ve no idea what could be causing that.

I may have to do some more digging - thanks for posting the crash log in any case!

Think I’ve made another change that may have helped…!

Left it trying to start for 30 min but no luck, was just stuck on the loading screen:

Terminal output
$ snap run quelea
Jan 03, 2019 7:46:18 PM org.quelea.services.languages.LabelGrabber <init>
INFO: Using languages file /snap/quelea/325/jar/languages/gb.lang
Jan 03, 2019 7:46:19 PM org.quelea.services.languages.LabelGrabber <init>
INFO: Setting en-uk locale
Jan 03, 2019 7:46:20 PM org.quelea.windows.main.Main start
INFO: Started, version 2019.0
INFO: OS name: Linux
INFO: Using JAVA version 1.8.0_191
INFO: 64-bit: true
SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for further details.
Jan 03, 2019 7:46:22 PM org.quelea.windows.main.Main$UncaughtExceptionHandler uncaughtException
SEVERE: Uncaught exception on thread: JavaFX Application Thread
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3$1.run(EventQueue.java:714)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$null$117(PlatformImpl.java:295)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$118(PlatformImpl.java:294)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:95)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.lambda$null$450(GtkApplication.java:139)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

^C
Quelea 2019.0 (325)
$ snap info quelea
refresh-date: today at 19:16 GMT            
  edge:      2019.0 (325) 364MB -
installed:   2019.0 (325) 364MB -
$ snap version
snap    2.36.3+git1065.557f8c3~ubuntu16.04.1
snapd   2.36.3+git1065.557f8c3~ubuntu16.04.1
series  16
ubuntu  18.10
kernel  4.18.0-13-generic
$ snap info core
refresh-date: 8 days ago, at 07:36 GMT                                     
  edge:      16-2.36.3+git1065.557f8c3 (6202) 95MB -
installed:   16-2.36.3+git1065.557f8c3 (6202) 95MB core

@Ads20000 Perhaps a stupid point, but if you just try to run it again without any other changes do you get the same output? I’ve no idea why, but I’ve seen this exception before when trying to run another JavaFX based snap for the first time, and later times it seemed ok.

1 Like

Ran Quelea 2019.0 (332), didn’t work (probably because of the refresh to revision 332, or maybe because of a reboot, not sure), running it again worked (though I don’t have a second monitor to test it on)! Thanks! Would be nice if this could be fixed so it ran first try after a refresh, of course!

Also I get a ‘Sorry, we couldn’t load that page.’ error when clicking Help > linkToWebpage.
I also have a number of theming issues on Ubuntu 18.10 (Yaru theme).

(This is all technically off-topic, of course, I should file these all as separate issues on GitHub Issues, but I don’t know if I’ll get round to that or not!)

@Ads20000 I’ve now released a beta version and hoping that it now runs without an issue!

The “sorry we couldn’t load that page” error is known, that’s a Java desktop API issue unfortunately. (We could get around it by just running the native command, but haven’t yet put that workaround in place as it’s not critical functionality.)

Revisions 338 (beta) and 345 (edge) both run on first launch I think, thanks! At least, they run after refreshing to them :slight_smile: I wonder if, with JavaFX theming, you’d have to manually create themes as preferences within the app like Phoenicis (PlayOnLinux 5) have done… Also when you get a stable release out, ping @popey and you might be able to get the snap featured in the next monthly ‘fresh snaps’ article :slight_smile:

Awesome, sounds great! Themes in JavaFX usually involve hacking around with CSS and then adding that on as a platform specific extension, which isn’t something I’ve had a serious look at doing as of yet - I may get around to it at some point though.

Cool, I’ll give that a go when we’re ready to release to stable, thanks!

Im so frustrated Ive tried every way possible to install this but it wont work. Open LP loads and runs fine.

We need @zyga-snapd to answer as to the status of snappy on Chrome OS for us to be able to see whether installing the Quelea snap on your Chromebook would be feasible, sorry. Alternatively you could use crouton (which I mentioned earlier) to install a GNU/Linux distribution, then install Java on that, then run the Quelea Jar. Or you may be able to install Java on your Chromebook, try downloading the JRE here (try the 8u192 jre-8u192-linux-i586.tar.gz (if this is 32-bit Chrome OS) or jre-8u192-linux-x64.tar.gz (for 64-bit Chrome OS)) and then running Chrome OS on that. If you’re happy using OpenLP then just use that for the time being, at the moment it might just be that OpenLP runs on Chrome OS and Quelea doesn’t, that might just be how it is.

@berry120 Also, before you hit stable ask how you can make yourself (or a Quelea account which you could ask Quelea to be transferred to) a verified publisher so you get a tick next to your name so that users know they can trust the snap :slight_smile: Edit: this might not be possible but you could mention it when you ping popey for snap promotion :slight_smile:

So grateful for your response. Openlp is just not worth switching to linux for. We already use Easislides (Windows) which gives is the ability to import set files from worshipteam.com (Openlp doesnt) and use background videos fairly easily. I really want out of windows and Quelea in the Windows trial run is nice so I can taste the answer to all my problems if I can just get this installed. I considered crouton but it seems a little more daunting than necessary might as well give in and just stay in Windows.

Oh and Quelea can import set files from worshipteam.com? Sounds cool! Hopefully we’ll hear about snapd’s status on Chrome OS at some point and then running Quelea on Chrome OS may be more of a possibility! :slight_smile:

Another thought: ChromeOS is not on the list of supported distributions but GalliumOS is. GalliumOS is Xubuntu adapted for Chromebooks and is installed using chrx (might also be too involved for your liking). Again, until we hear from zyga, we won’t know about the status of snappy on ChromeOS itself…