Track request for `opensearch-dashboards`

Hi,

Please add a track 2 for new Data SNAP opensearch-dashboards.

Thank you!

Hi,

Per Process for aliases, auto-connections and tracks 2, we need a 1-week voting/discussion period, so I’ll check back on the discussion and votes in a few days.

I have three questions before casting my vote:

1. What’s opensearch-dashboards’s release cadence, how often is a new major version (potentially requiring a new track) released? Is this documented somewhere?
  2. Is there some commitment from upstream on maintenance of old versions?
  3. Are new versions backwards-incompatible? Meaning, if I was running 3 and try to install 2, would that just work, or would I need to migrate my data/configuration, or would things break horribly?

Thanks,

Odysseus

Hi @odysseus-k ,

Thank you for the reply.

1. opensearch-dashboards follows the release same cadence of opensearch itself (~2 moths or so for minors and ~1.5y for majors)
  2. Such a commitment exists for both latest major version + latest major version -1 (taking into consideration roughly a 1/1.5y major version release cadence - that makes the support of each major version lasts 2y or more)
  3. no backward compatibility guarantees - though upstream tries to provide tooling to ease the process.

(I would say that the opensearch context here applies for opensearch-dashboards too)

Thank you

Mehdi,

Hi,

This makes sense to me and I think backward incompatibility is a good use case for creating a new track. Thanks for linking that request too. As both requests are almost identical in nature, I think we can expedite the process and create the track now.

I see, however, that the snap is still pending to be reviewed and as such we cannot create a track for it just yet. Please, let me know once the review process is complete and I’ll create the track for you.

Thanks,

Odysseus

Manual review request issued: Manual review request for opensearch-dashboards-snap

@odysseus-k

Could you please specify which review I may be missing? I thought it was the manual review of the Snap, but apparently that may not be the case.

Did you refer to the PR adding the release pipeline to the snap codebase? (That one is pending reveiw as I’d like to be able to test the release pipeline before considering it ready for approvals – is that a mistake on my side?)

Thank you, Judit

Hi,

The 2 track has been successfully created for the opensearch-dashboards snap.

Thanks,

Odysseus

Indeed, all works :slight_smile: Thank you very much for your help, all is fully functional :slight_smile: