Todoist snap silently fails to start

I don’t manage to start the todoist snap, it just silently fails to start, also after reinstalling todoist.

What doesn’t work (silently fails to start todoist):

$ todoist
$ snap run todoist

What does work (succesfully starts todoist):

$ /snap/todoist/current/todoist

It seems to me there’s something going working in the way /usr/bin/snap handles todoist, but I have no clue how to debug this, as there’s no output or error message. Other snaps do work fine…

i have the same problem. Apps like todoist (or walc, p3x-onenote etc) will start once after installing, but won’t start again.
I could get some error messages running
sudo strace -u catinbetween -f -D -vv -o ./log.trace /snap/bin/todoist

the error log (this contains about 14k lines and would be too large to paste here)
It’s full of “no such file or directory” errors.

I got a very similar error log, also full of “no such file or directory” errors, using snap run --strace todoist. And just like you, this same problem occurred for other snaps as well, including electronplayer.

All snaps mentioned so far use the Electron framework…

I followed the debugging steps listed here: Strict snap built using electron + builder not running on Ubuntu 20.04

This yielded the following output:

kernel.printk_ratelimit = 0
= AppArmor =
Time: sep 22 17:17:47
Log: apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.electronplayer.electronplayer" name="/mnt/data/Downloads/" pid=20583 comm="head" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=1000 ouid=0

So in my case, the problem is that I set up ~/Downloads to be a symlink to /mnt/data/Downloads. Who would have thought… Removing this symlink solved the problem, but it is an absurd problem that should have other solutions.

1 Like

Wow. I also had some symlinks in my home folder. I replaced them with actual directories, reinstalled and it is working fine now. Thanks.

There has to be a way to work around this. Maybe i can give the app some explicit apparmor permissions.

After checking a little bit more, i didn’t get any apparmor errors to work with. So since apparently the download folder needs to be a real folder, i’ve created a small personal workaround (since i don’t have that much space on /home )

i’ve made a real folder ~/Downloads and created a symlink ~/Downloads_ to the actual download folder. Then i created a startup script that will move everything from the real folder to the symlink target every time i logged in:

rsync -avzh --remove-source-files --progress /home/<user>/Downloads/* /home/<user>/Downloads_/ && find /home/<user>/Downloads/* -type d -empty -delete

Botched solution for a shitty problem.