Support for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

@ondra, any update? Cheers

1 Like

I can confirm that WiFi is still broken even after doing a snap refresh.

Bump

This is starting to get really painful. Since the B+ is the default version that most suppliers sell these days, it is becoming more painful every day.

@zyga-snapd / @ogra - pls provide a timeline for this asap.

Iā€™m not working on hardware support so I cannot offer any timelines. My remarks earlier were about adding this device to a small board farm I make available to core snapd developers should they need to test something on real hardware.

Can we get an update on this?

We have a meeting today that includes Ubuntu Core topics. Will raise that and get back to you.

3 Likes

Iā€™m also curious about the status of this. Any news since the meeting?

1 Like

Hi guys, did anybody try a new gadget snap with this update?

I tried the official Raspberry Pi 3 snap a few days ago -> currently does not boot. I did not try to create a new snap if that is what you mean.

@ogra any updates? Thank you

@ppisati is working on getting the necessary kernel bits into the pi2-kernel snap ā€¦ follow the bug at:

once this is in we can move forward ā€¦

4 Likes

I see that there is now a fix committed.
Do you know when the new build will be available?

Kernels typically live in the -proposed poket for a while (a week or two, not sure) until they make it into the main archive. once that happened i guess the kernel team will re-build the snap.

2 Likes

Any chance we can fast-track this given the urgency to get this out?

I tried to build a new image with latest raspberry pi 3 gadget snap build from the github repository and it didnā€™t work yet. Details below:

• The boot process passes normally and I can see login prompt on my device, but I canā€™t log-in because our image has disabled console-conf.
  • When I reboot the device - it fails to boot again complaining that ā€œUnable to load file pi2-krenel_66.snap/kernel.imgā€

This happens for both RPI3 and RPI3B+

2 Likes

Hi guys. Still nothing here. I tried to build an image using a custom-built gadget snap (https://github.com/snapcore/pi3-gadget/tree/master) and pi3-kernel and core snaps from the candidate channel. The image booted, but after reboot it still doesnā€™t work.

I will try beta and edge channels today, but not sure that they will work.

1 Like

Was about to try the custom gadget snap myself, so thanks for saving me the time :slight_smile: Any luck with the beta and edge channels?

I was able to build a core image using the custom gadget snap and pi2-kernel (works after reboot).

snap list: gadget_snap

Thanks for making this work, @ogra, @ondra and @ppisati! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Didnā€™t work for me, @ondra.

I tried to use your image. I can log-in, but it doesnā€™t survive the reboot.

renat.galimov@localhost:/boot$ snap list
No snaps are installed yet. Try 'snap install hello-world'.
renat.galimov@localhost:/boot$ snap version
snap    2.35+git940.75e9b53~ubuntu16.04.1
snapd   2.35+git940.75e9b53~ubuntu16.04.1
series  16
kernel  4.4.0-1096-raspi2

Here are logs:

Oct 01 08:37:11 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Reloading.
Oct 01 08:37:11 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Reloading.
Oct 01 08:37:12 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Mounting Mount unit for pi2-kernel, revision 68...
Oct 01 08:37:12 localhost.localdomain systemd-udevd[818]: Network interface NamePolicy= disabled on kernel command line, ignoring.
Oct 01 08:37:12 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Mounted Mount unit for pi2-kernel, revision 68.
Oct 01 08:37:16 localhost.localdomain snapd[1299]: handlers.go:389: Reported install problem for "pi3" as already-reported
Oct 01 08:37:19 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Unmounted Mount unit for pi2-kernel, revision 68.
Oct 01 08:37:19 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Reloading.
Oct 01 08:37:20 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Reloading.
Oct 01 08:37:20 localhost.localdomain snapd[1299]: handlers.go:389: Reported install problem for "pi2-kernel" as already-reported
Oct 01 08:37:23 localhost.localdomain systemd-udevd[818]: Network interface NamePolicy= disabled on kernel command line, ignoring.
Oct 01 08:37:23 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Unmounted Mount unit for core, revision 5418.
Oct 01 08:37:24 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Reloading.
Oct 01 08:37:24 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Reloading.
Oct 01 08:37:25 localhost.localdomain snapd[1299]: handlers.go:389: Reported install problem for "core" as already-reported
Oct 01 08:41:09 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Reloading.
Oct 01 08:41:09 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Reloading.
Oct 01 08:41:10 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Mounting Mount unit for core, revision 5418...
Oct 01 08:41:10 localhost.localdomain systemd-udevd[818]: Network interface NamePolicy= disabled on kernel command line, ignoring.
Oct 01 08:41:10 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Mounted Mount unit for core, revision 5418.

A full log, for reference: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/6WhykddgZt/

Ok, found the root cause of the issue. snapcraft ignores the target arch setting from snapcraft.yaml. Specifying the arch explicitly fixes the issue.