Snapping Thunderbird

Request: thunderbird (official)

I’m grateful for the unofficial thunderbird snap (which includes a latest/edge channel) that’s maintained by Ken VanDine. But given the potentially sensitive nature of email data, I’d greatly appreciate having an official thunderbird snap (also including a latest/edge channel) that’s maintained by Canonical. Any chance of getting one?

3 Likes

I believe we tried a few times to get in contact with someone over at the Thunderbird project. I don’t know what exactly happened there, but can imagine there’s a possible lack of engineers who can work on this.

@kenvandine worth another try to reach out to someone at Thunderbird, and if that fails, maybe move the snap over to Snapcrafters and publish to stable. There are already thousands of users of the snap, and it’s not even in the stable channel!

1 Like

I’d be happy to transfer it to snapcrafters. Let’s sync up with @Wimpress and schedule another meeting with the folks at Thunderbird in January and see if we can get things moving again.

2 Likes

Hi Ken,

Thanks for taking this up ;-}

After adding the Enigmail addon, the generation of a new keypair was DENIED.

Reviewing the logs, I found other issues which I’ll paste below.

I’ve been unable to figure out how to use the apparmor tools (aa-*) with this snapd hidden profile.

# generated with:

grep "audit: .thunderbird" </var/log/kern.log.1 |sed ‘s/^.apparmor=//;s/ fsuid.$//’ |sed 's,proc/[0-9]/net,proc/-----/net,;s,pid=[0-9]*,g’ |sort |uniq -c |sort -n

1 "DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" name="/home/pilgrim/.bash_history"  comm="pool" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r"
  1 "DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" name="/home/pilgrim/.bash_logout"  comm="pool" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r"
  1 "DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" name="/home/pilgrim/.dmrc"  comm="pool" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r"
  1 "DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" name="/home/pilgrim/.esd_auth"  comm="pool" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r"
  1 "DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" name="/home/pilgrim/.gtkrc-2.0"  comm="pool" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r"
  1 "DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" name="/home/pilgrim/.lesshst"  comm="pool" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r"
  1 "DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" name="/home/pilgrim/.mtoolsrc"  comm="pool" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r"
  1 "DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" name="/home/pilgrim/.multisystem-theme"  comm="pool" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r"
  1 "DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" name="/home/pilgrim/.wget-hsts"  comm="pool" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r"
  1 "DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" name="/home/pilgrim/.xsession-errors"  comm="pool" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r"
  1 "DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" name="/snap/audacity/532/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/audacity.svg"  comm="thunderbird-bin" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r"
  1 "DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" name="/snap/foliate/41/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/com.github.johnfactotum.Foliate.svg"  comm="thunderbird-bin" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r"
  1 "DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" name="/snap/vlc/1397/usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/vlc.png"  comm="thunderbird-bin" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r"
  1 "STATUS" operation="profile_replace" info="same as current profile, skipping" profile="unconfined" name="snap-update-ns.thunderbird"  comm="apparmor_parser"
  1 "STATUS" operation="profile_replace" profile="unconfined" name="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird"  comm="apparmor_parser"
  2 "DENIED" operation="connect" profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" name="/run/user/1000/gnupg/S.gpg-agent"  comm="gpg-connect-age" requested_mask="wr" denied_mask="wr"
  2 "DENIED" operation="dbus_method_call"  bus="system" path="/org/freedesktop/hostname1" interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" member="GetAll" mask="send" name=":1.128"  label="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" peer_ peer_label="unconfined"
  2 "DENIED" operation="dbus_method_call"  bus="system" path="/org/freedesktop/hostname1" interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" member="GetAll" mask="send" name=":1.498"  label="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" peer_ peer_label="unconfined"
  2 "DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" name="/etc/fstab"  comm="thunderbird-bin" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r"
  7 "DENIED" operation="dbus_method_call"  bus="system" path="/org/freedesktop/UPower" interface="org.freedesktop.UPower" member="EnumerateDevices" mask="send" name="org.freedesktop.UPower"  label="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" peer_ peer_label="unconfined"
  7 "DENIED" operation="mkdir" profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" name="/snap/thunderbird/47/update.test/"  comm="thunderbird-bin" requested_mask="c" denied_mask="c"
  7 "DENIED" operation="mknod" profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" name="/snap/thunderbird/47/update.test"  comm="thunderbird-bin" requested_mask="c" denied_mask="c"
  8 "DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" name="/run/mount/utab"  comm="thunderbird-bin" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r"
 28 "DENIED" operation="connect" profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" name="/run/user/1000/gnupg/S.gpg-agent"  comm="gpg" requested_mask="wr" denied_mask="wr"
 36 "DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.thunderbird.thunderbird" name="/proc/-----/net/arp"  comm=4C696E6B204D6F6E69746F72 requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r"

EOF

There are a lot of issues in regards to thunderbird snap, gpg-agent and enigmail. I think the interface for the gpg-agent, gpg-keys is till being thought out. Until that is fixed, i doubt there would be much progress here.

Enigmail itself is losing support from Thunderbird anyway in favour of an inbuilt solution.

1 Like

Hi,

What is the status of this snap ? I mean, using Focal, why not switching to the 78.x snap version, ok. But, as mentioned in the first post, I’d like a Canonical author, with official security support. Nothing personal Kevin :innocent: . What are the current issues regarding the snap version ?

Anyway, the most severe snap bug is that the TB icon is outdated. :yum:

1 Like

I want to reiterate how much I appreciate that @kenvandine has taken on the task of creating and maintaining the Thunderbird snap. Thanks much, Ken! I just feel that something as potentially critical/sensitive as an email client should be officially maintained by Canonical.

As half suggested here https://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?pid=22368367#p22368367 is it possible latest version of TB has lost ability to connect to removable-media interface ?