Request for new tracks for racket snap

Hello.

I would like to request a pair of 8.11 and 8.12 tracks for the racket snap. This will allow installation of the preferred version of racket on a given system.

Hi,

Per Process for aliases, auto-connections and tracks 2, we need a 1-week voting/discussion period, so I’ll check back on the discussion and votes in a few days.

I have three questions before casting my vote.

1. What’s racket’s release cadence, how often is a new major version (potentially requiring a new track) released? Is this documented somewhere by upstream?
  2. Is there some commitment from upstream on maintenance of old versions? e.g. is 8.10 still supported with security updates? Will it continue to be supported now that 8.11 is out, and for how long?
  3. Are new versions backwards-incompatible? Meaning, if I was running 8.12 and try to install 8.11, will that just work, or do I need to migrate my data/configuration, or will things break horribly?

Thanks,

Odysseus

1. Racket release history shows that a new release is made roughly once a quarter https://github.com/racket/racket/releases - although I could not find any documented policy.

2. There’s occasional point release but I don’t think there’s explicit support commitment. For instance 8.11 was followed by a bugfix-only 8.11.1

3. This is the interesting part. I think in general racket is a sane language, but the request for new tracks was directly triggered by this removal from 8.12:

• The “Die Macht der Abstraktion” language levels are no longer present, replaced by the “Schreibe dein Programm” language levels which have been available for several years. (see DeinProgramm - Schreibe Dein Programm! )

+1 from me - racket appears to have a sensible use-case for tracks between the old 8.11 and the new 8.12 release.

1 Like

Hi,

+1 from me as a reviewer. Both tracks have been successfully created.

Thanks,

Odysseus