Request for classic confinement, alacritty (& alacritty-tunix)

Hi,

Currently there are 2 snaps in Snap Store with the name alacritty in it and they’re not only up-to-date but also a bit outdated in terms of build steps.

I checked upstream project and found out that they’re not interested in packaging snaps.

I created a new snap and request the following:

• Classic confinement as this is a terminal emulator
  • Want this to be maintained via snapcrafters github repo (so can someone please fork my repo and let me manage current alacritty package?)

I also submitted alacritty-tunix in case this one wouldn’t go through as the official alacritty package.

The github repo of the snap can be found here.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @reviewers,

My request for uploading the snap to the snap store has been rejected. :slight_smile: Could you please take a look?

1 Like

There is already an alacritty snap in the store - it would be best for you to contact the publisher and offer to help out on updating that snap I think rather than publishing a competing one under a different name - @icey as the publisher of alacritty can you please comment?

Honestly, I would love for the alacritty snap to be managed by a group (Snapcrafters?) rather than myself and the one other contributor.

I had a brief look at the snap repo that @tunix linked and think that it looks fine and would probably be a good starting point to getting Alacritty updating more regularly again.

4 Likes

I’m totally fine for moving my snap repo to snapcrafters’ repo. However I’ve serious concerns about the management of snapcrafters’ repos as I can’t get gradle-snap to get updated for almost a month. :frowning:

Are there any comments to this from the devs/admins of snapcraft(ers)?

1 Like

@advocacy ping, could your please help to move fw with this request and have alacritty snap to be managed by Snapcrafters?

@tunix, @icey I suggest reading Join Snapcrafters if you haven’t done it yet.

Thanks!

1 Like

@popey @Igor ping, could you please help with the request to have alacritty managed by snapcrafters?

2 Likes

@popey @Igor ping, could you please help with this request?

1 Like

Hi,

Can someone please say anything why this process is stuck and how we can move forward? I started receiving contributions to this effort and want to move it forward. We’ve fixed a few standing bugs of the snap and I think it’s ready to be submitted.

1 Like

Hi @tunix, let me check with the team internally the best way to get this unstuck. Sorry for the delay.

@tunix, so I had some conversation with a couple of folks.

First, thank you for stepping up and willing to do take on these snaps. This is much appreciated. In fact, if you have any other ideas or would like to work on other snaps, we can definitely do this.

Second, we can have the snap transferred in your name - or under Snapcrafters. If you think the latter is “too slow”, then we can talk together about how to grant you access to the repo so you can regularly contribute. We’d just need to define this (perhaps together) so other and future contributions can also use the process.

I’ll let the store team handle the transfer, and we’ll do a couple of forum posts and announcement in the next week or two about the ideas we have around Snapcrafters and new contributions.

You mentioned an issue with gradle, can you ping me on this with more details - or if there’s an open thread, point to it?

1 Like

Hi @Igor,

I’m glad that we’ve come to a conclusion like this. I think seeing snapcrafters’ name on the Snap Store is a sign of trust to a snap. I personally don’t like to see random strangers’ name for an important package unless they’re the owner. So I’d like to go with moving this snap to snapcrafter’s repository if we can create a fast working, collaborative way to move forward. Let’s start the discussion and see where it goes. :crossed_fingers:

Please see this PR for gradle. @om26er suggested that part of it requires a forum thread so please let me know if that’s the case.

1 Like

@tunix, sweet, just bear with me and a couple of colleagues for a few days while we iron out some proposals - we got a few other things on our plate :slight_smile: Because we want to make this a collaborative community effort, we will also go out with a forum post asking for participation and ideas. Meanwhile, if you have anything, you can PM me for now, and I’ll make sure we include this.

In parallel, I’ll look at the Gradle one, too.

2 Likes

Hi folks,

I’ll do the transfer to tunix for now, we can later move over to snapcrafters in which case tunix will remain as collaborator as per usual.

@tunix what’s your snap store username (or if you have it, snap account-id from https://dashboard.snapcraft.io/dev/account/)?

• Daniel
1 Like

Hi @roadmr,

My username is: tunix

I cannot find a store username of tunix. Can you please double-check, or give me the account-id from the above URL? that should be unambiguous.

• Daniel

I’ve just changed it from t-u-n-i-x to tunix – so that could be the reason. The URL doesn’t have an account-id as far as I can see.

Ok, given all these name changes I really need to make sure I’m targeting the right account.

Lack of developer ID could even indicate something is broken.

Can you please go to that URL I gave above, and double check whether it has a snap developer Id? You should be asked to authenticate before being able to go to the URL.

The developer id is a 32-character string with letters and numbers.

• Daniel

Hi @roadmr,

Weird… :thinking: I’m almost sure I saw a different page yesterday. :slight_smile:

Here you go: 9nVAuwuIvW7jsxGROVv52iv7bK8tAFhr

I hope this is what you need.