Request for avahi-observe, raw-usb, hardware-observe auto-connect

Hello @reviewers team

I have created an app Pixelyse that scans documents, extracts photographies out of them and saves them to <homedir>/Pictures. The scanning part works based on simple-scan dependency (by running scanimage command), so to find scanners and do the scanning I need these interfaces to be auto-connected:

• raw-usb and hardware-observe for usb scanners
  • avahi-observe for wireless scanners

Here is the source code: https://gitlab.com/einars.hamrihs/pixelyse

hi @EinarsH

Similarly to this forum topic, auto-connect of raw-usb, hardware-observe and avahi-observe seems reasonable and fits the functionality of the snap. +1 from me.

Thanks for the vote! Since we’re already past the one week voting period, is there anything else @reviewers need to know about the project to give it the missing vote and grant the permissions?

Hey @EinarsH

Sorry for the long delay. Your request looks really similar to the simple-scan one that @cav just linked. I wonder if auto-connecting hardware-observe and avahi-observe and following @alexmurray suggestion for raw-usb will suffice your use case

Regarding raw-usb - I am interested to know if you think it might be possible to try and detect (via the accesses provided by hardware-observe) if a USB scanner is present and if raw-usb is not connected (snapctl is-connected raw-usb returns non-zero), to then prompt the user to connect it first? If this were possible it may provide a better and safer overall UX, however if this is not possible, then auto-connect of raw-usb doesn’t sound too unreasonable - but it would be good to try this suggestion first if you can. Thanks.

Thanks!

Hi! I added an extra prompt for raw-usb in the latest revision, so it can be without the raw-usb now. Let me know, if there’s anything else needed.

Then, +1 from for granting pixelyse auto-connection to hardware-observe and avahi-observe interfaces.

+2 for, 0 against. Granting pixelyse auto-connection to hardware-observe and avahi-observe interfaces. This is now live.

1 Like