Request for auto-connection removable-media for rawtherapee

Hi. The rawtherapee package needs to automatically connect mount-observe and removable-media to view flash cards from cameras.

Please pay attention to my request.

Hi,

There’s usually a minimum of 7 days review before anything gets actioned, the review team will get round to you in due course.

In the mean time, it’d help speed things if you could provide some context for your snap.

I can see Rawtherapee is an image processor (presumably for RAW files). If so, it’d fit within the exceptions capable of getting removable-media autoconnected, being a media editor where connecting USBs/SD-Cards is a common workflow.

However, the mount-observe interface isn’t quite so obvious as to why you’re requesting it. It’s not a particularly privileged interface (being observe and not control), but it’d be helpful to know what breaks in your snap if this isn’t connected. Ideally, if an interface doesn’t need to be, e.g it’s niche functionality considered reasonable for users to manually to grant permissions for, that’s the usual preference.

Could you let us know why the app would benefit from mount-observe by default. What’s the user experience without it? Is removable-media alone enough?

(For context, I’m not a reviewer and don’t actually have sway in this, but these are the questions that you’d be asked anyway).

yes, you’re right, rawtherapee is an image processor for raw files from cameras. I’m not sure about mount-observe, it probably isn’t necessary.

as @James-Carroll mentioned (thank you!), removable-media looks reasonable to me considering the functionality of media editing by the snap. Therefore +1 from me.

Could you please provide more details on the way rawtherapee uses the mount-observe interface and a bit more context around the snap itself? Thanks!

@cav rawtherapee does not use mount-observe. This is my mistake. I thought it was necessary for listing discs, I was wrong.

1 Like

As per the Process for aliases, auto-connections and tracks, auto-connect of removable-media looks appropriate for applications that are media editors etc - and I think rawtherapee likely fits into this category. Then the other question is the following criteria:

• the application itself is a mature, well-known application
  • the snap’s (vetted) publisher is a mature, well-known entity
  • the snap’s (vetted) publisher is the upstream of the software

if the snap is published by someone other than upstream, the publisher must be vetted and either be an established committer to the upstream or the wider snap ecosystem (eg, an established well-known contributor to the software itself, a member of the snapcrafters group, etc)

• if the publisher doesn’t meet these criteria, other options may or may not be considered such as the publisher joining snapcrafters, snapcrafters becoming a collaborator on the snap, auto-connection granted conditional on the snap packaging being accepted upstream, upstream stating they trust the publisher with the packaging, etc.

Can you please let me know which of these you fit into as the publisher of this snap?

Thanks!

@jslarraz “the application itself is a mature, well-known application”. Here is the website https://www.rawtherapee.com/ . I am not the direct developer of this application; I am simply an active user of it. I am ready for any verification.

Hi. Are there any changes?

Hey @metanovii, sorry for the long delay.

As per my last comment, if you are not the direct developer of this application, the only option AFAIK is you being part of snapcrafters. @alexmurray Is there any other option here I’m not aware of?

Yes unfortunately we do not have a way to vet third-party publishers.