Removeable-media KDE snap

Please allow auto connect of removeable-media on the following KDE snaps which are the ones that can open and save files locally.

ark
cantor
cervisia
dolphin
dragon
gwenview
kalgebra
kalzium
kanagram
kate
katomic
kfourinline
kgoldrunner
kig
kjumpingcube
kmplot
knights
kolourpaint
kpat
ksirk
ksudoku
ktuberling
kturtle
kubrick
kwordquiz
okular
parley
picmi
rocs
spectacle
step
umbrello

I’d actually like to see removable media as auto-connected for snaps that plug desktop. I’m not sure we can automatically handle that, but IMO that would make sense. Having to request this for nearly all desktop snaps is quite burdensome.

3 Likes

After several discussions between snapd architects, security, advocacy and other reviewers, we’ve updated our removable-media criteria in our processes.

Here are the summaries for these various snaps where I grouped them for convenient voting:

browsers or media viewers/players

• dragon - simple video player
  • gwenview - A simple image viewer
  • kolourpaint - Paint Program
  • okular - Document Viewer
  • spectacle - Screenshot capture utility, replaces KSnapshot

IME, these all fit the criteria and are from an official publisher. Granting auto-connection. These are now live

ready to vote

• ark - Work with file archives

While ark is not a media viewer/editor/etc, it is clear to me that an archiving tool might want to archive to external media and this snap meets the other criteria of being mature software from and established upstream and vetted publisher. +1

• kate - KDE Advanced Text Editor

surprised this isn’t classic tbh. The fact that it isn’t makes me wonder how it functions at all (eg, is it using freedesktop’s portals to access files? If so, it wouldn’t need removable-media; if not, should this be classic like other editors? If not, +1 since it seems clear to me that an editor might want to archive to edit media and this snap meets the other criteria of being mature software from and established upstream and vetted publisher. +1

• umbrello - UML modelling tool and code generator

While umbrello is not a media editor, it does edit files that are a lot like media. This snap meets the other criteria of being mature software from and established upstream and vetted publisher. +1

others

• dolphin: there doesn’t seem to be a snap of dolphin in the store so I think we can skip this one. It is a file manager (that iirc can also be used as a web browser) so this is likely a candidate if/when it is submitted

games

• kanagram - Letter Order Game
  • katomic - Sokoban-like Logic Game
  • kfourinline - Connect Four game
  • kgoldrunner - A game of action and puzzle-solving
  • kjumpingcube - simple tactical game
  • knights - Chess game
  • kpat - Solitaire card game
  • ksirk - Risk strategy game
  • ksudoku - KSudoku, Sudoku game & more by KDE
  • ktuberling - A simple constructor game suitable for children and adults alike
  • kubrick - A 3-D game based on Rubik’s Cube
  • picmi - Puzzle game based on number logic

It is not clear to me why all these games need access to removable-media and override the user’s voice with regard to potentially sensitive external media. Can you provide more details?

education(??)

• cantor - KDE Frontend to Mathematical Software
  • kalgebra - algebraic graphing calculator
  • kalzium - KDE Periodic Table of Elements
  • kig - Explore Geometric Constructions
  • kturtle - Educational Programming Environment
  • kwordquiz - A flashcard and vocabulary learning program
  • parley - vocabulary trainer
  • rocs - Graph Theory Tool for Professors and Students.

It is not clear to me why all these educational programs need access to removable-media and override the user’s voice with regard to potentially sensitive external media. Does common usage dictate importing from external media?

other

• cervisia - graphical CVS client
  • kmplot - Mathematical Function Plotter
  • step - Interactive Physical Simulator

It is not clear to me why all these programs need access to removable-media and override the user’s voice with regard to potentially sensitive external media. Does common usage dictate importing from external media?

1 Like

@reviewers - can others vote on this?

+1 from me too for these 3 for the reasons @jdstrand outlined above. I also wonder about whether kate should be classic.