Removal out of date snaps?

Hello, I am noticing that some snaps are badly out of date and wondering if there should be a way to report them and have them removed. For instance, the Sweet Home 3D snaps is version 6.6 dating back to 2021: Install Sweet Home 3D on Ubuntu using the Snap Store | Snapcraft

Flatpak is available as 7.4… Even Ubuntu’s repos currently ships 7.2 as a deb (7.3 in oracular) so that one is being maintained at least: https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=sweethome3d

I am guessing that this maintainer updated a snap at some point and since decided he won’t be doing it anymore. Shouldn’t this sort of unmaintained snaps get removed if the maintainer isn’t maintaining them? user are likely to download from the snap store expecting something close the latest version, either same or newer than the deb package available in the repos?

5 Likes

As a Snap publisher, I would rather suggest making the snap unlisted instead to mitigate the problem.

Also, I would appreciate the store mandate for snap publishers to implement upstream up-to-date status checking so that the maintenance status can be easily verified.

2 Likes