[ODROID][ARM64] Can't install Chrome or Firefox (Configure hook)

Hi! I’m working on a web based user interface over ubuntu gnome on Odroid C4 machine (aarch64).

When I try to install Chromium or Firefox I get:

Run configure hook of "chromium" snap if present (run hook "configure": cannot perform operation: mount --bind /snap/core20/current/etc/nsswitch.conf /tmp/snap.rootfs_o7Dm9B/etc/nsswitch.conf: Permission denied)
  • Tried to install throught apt
  • Tried to install throught snap
  • Tried to install throught dpkg
  • Tried to purge and install snapd
  • Tried to fresh install ubuntu
  • Tried to move from ubuntu20 to ubuntu22
  • Tried to make a sudo user and install from GUI
  • Tried to download the snap package, mount with squashfs and execute snap try
  • Tried to modify the snap package to remove the configure hook

3 months ago I was able to install Chromium by apt chromium-browser package (now it executes the same snap package) The only working solution is to install the apt beta since it doesn’t require snapd at all but it have some graphical issues…

I search many forums and found some similar cases, but any working solution.

Thanks for reading!

1 Like

well, that is not an awful lot of information, could you capture your journal to some pastebin and link it here ?

and as usual when there are problems also the full output of snap version … my wild guess would be that your kernel misses bits and pieces an official ubuntu kernel usually has enabled, but that is hard to tell without more info …

**uname -a**
Linux odroid 4.9.312-7 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Aug 2 00:53:02 UTC 2022 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

**snap version**
snap    2.57.2
snapd   2.57.2
series  16
ubuntu  22.04
kernel  4.9.312-7

About the journal, could you show which command I need to get it?

i typically just run journalctl -f, hit enter a few times to clear the screen, then do the action that i want logs for and copy/paste the output back to the empty block i created with hitting space …

https://pastebin.com/Az4fHxhB

hmm, sorry, i was not clear … you should indeed run the journalctl -f while executing the command … i.e. from a second terminal or ssh session … your log seems to be captured only after you executed the snap install command

Sorry, it’s true…

https://pastebin.com/CXWpPmrW

do any other snaps work when you install them ?

like htop or hello-world ?

yes, i tried htop and before I followed a possible solution that consists in purge and reinstall snapd and install core with snap install --edge core, so yes, some packages are able to install. Chrome and firefox don’t work…

well, do they actually run

(and yes, my next question would have been about the 2.57.2 snapd version that only comes from the edge channel currently and is potentially unstable, i’d suggest to switch all your snaps back to the stable channel)

You’re right, same problem when I execute htop. I think I started with problem in the stable version, but i tried to upgrade as a possible solution.

I will try to purge and reinstall again…

is the setup of your homedir somehow unusual ?

i.e. not a real directory that is /home/$USER, but a symlink or such ?

Stable version installed, same problem.

I’m using the root user directly, but I have a not sudo user for the graphical environment. And also I tried to create a new user with sudo, and tried to install from this user.

The folders aren’t symlinks (I saw some posts over Internet with problems related with that and I checked before)

PD: This morning I tried to create a sudo user again, login in GUI and purge-reinstall snapd. Same issues…

This is the journalctl -f if I execute the hello-world program installed from snap:

Sep 15 11:26:42 odroid systemd[4613]: Started D-Bus User Message Bus.
Sep 15 11:26:42 odroid systemd[4613]: Started snap.hello-world.hello-world.246bec6f-8045-4ba3-b0c4-3b07a7da59b2.scope.
Sep 15 11:26:42 odroid audit[4679]: AVC apparmor="DENIED" operation="mount" profile="/snap/snapd/16782/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine" name="/tmp/snap.rootfs_tuqLNc/var/lib/extrausers/" pid=4679 comm="snap-confine" flags="rw, rbind"
Sep 15 11:26:42 odroid audit[4679]: AVC apparmor="DENIED" operation="mount" info="failed mntpnt match" error=-13 profile="/snap/snapd/16782/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine" name="/tmp/snap.rootfs_tuqLNc/etc/nsswitch.conf/" pid=4679 comm="snap-confine" srcname="/snap/core/13746/etc/nsswitch.conf/" flags="rw, bind"
Sep 15 11:26:42 odroid kernel: audit: type=1400 audit(1663234002.811:31): apparmor="DENIED" operation="mount" profile="/snap/snapd/16782/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine" name="/tmp/snap.rootfs_tuqLNc/var/lib/extrausers/" pid=4679 comm="snap-confine" flags="rw, rbind"
Sep 15 11:26:42 odroid kernel: audit: type=1400 audit(1663234002.811:32): apparmor="DENIED" operation="mount"info="failed mntpnt match" error=-13 profile="/snap/snapd/16782/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine" name="/tmp/snap. rootfs_tuqLNc/etc/nsswitch.conf/" pid=4679 comm="snap-confine" srcname="/snap/core/13746/etc/nsswitch.conf/" flags="rw, bind"

Update: Tried to fresh install ubuntu20 and it works. When I install gnome-session and gdm3 it stops working…

1 Like

with the same errors ?

I have exactly the same problems with a Odroid N2+ with Ubuntu 22.04.01 LTS and Snap 2.7.1.

Any ideas?

1 Like

Yes, same issues. I don’t know if it’s related with gnome or with the apt update/upgrade…

Hi!

Still with same problems. Did you found any solution?

I did the following:

• sudo mv /var/lib/snapd/apparmor/profiles/usr.lib.snapd.snap-confine.real $HOME/.
    (not sure if that is actually necessary, probably not, since : )
  • sudo systemctl disable apparmor
  • sudo reboot
  • sudo apt-get install firefox

NB1 and of course you shoule reanable apparmor if security is a concern NB2 sudo systemctl stopapparmor won’t work, and the reboot is necessary
    NB3 you can also google how to install firefox without snap and that gives another way around the probleme (ie usr.lib.snapd.snap-confine.real is not working properly)