Interface approval for ncdu snap

I’ve recently updated ncdu and added some interfaces to provide greater access to read file sizes across the system and needed to get human review/approval to add them officially.

human review required due to 'allow-installation' constraint (bool) declaration-snap-v2_plugs_installation (ncdu, system-files)
human review required due to 'allow-installation' constraint (bool) declaration-snap-v2_plugs_installation (ncdu, personal-files)

@popey directed me to open a new thread for this request. Thanks Alan!

I’ve moved this to Store Requests category, which I believe is the most appropriate for this request.

2 Likes

@kz6fittycent can you please outline what specific files (and whether read or write access for each) are being requested via system-files and personal-files for ncdu and why it requires these accesses?

Hi @alexmurray,

Thanks for helping me out.

My request might be pretty basic in terms of what you’re looking for but here goes:

• ncdu is an improved version of du and some files at the root level [as the snap currently ships] aren’t readable, even with sudo
  • My request is in hopes that ncdu can get read-only access to these files so that accurate sizes for each can be reported

For example, running ncdu /var/log/audit should show sizes for audit logs on a server but if it can’t read it, it’s kind of useless.

Basically, ncdu will need read-only for anything in / (root).

Let me know if you need further input - I hope I can provide it.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Just touching base on this. Is there any more info needed?

If you require read-only for anything in / then I think the most feasible option would be to use the system-backup interface

2 Likes

Hey @kz6fittycent,

Could you analyze using the system-backup interface as suggested by @alexmurray?

Thanks!

1 Like

Let me check that out, will get back to you as soon as I can.

Not quite, sorry. This pattern repeats for anything requiring access to files from /

make sure to point your app config to /var/lib/snapd/hostfs/var/www

/ is mounted under /var/lib/snapd/hostfs as described in https://snapcraft.io/docs/the-system-backup-interface

1 Like

Well, that sort-of worked but it can’t see my zfs pools. And if this interface in incapable of seeing them, that’s a non-starter IMO.

This tool can be incredibly useful for sysadmins who want a quick and clean way of seeing what’s taking up space in various files/dirs. If it can’t see (read-only) into “everything”, then it’s not very useful.

1 Like