How to delete snap

Does the public ubuntu snap store provide a way for a developer to delete her/his app?

Hello!

You can delete a snap through the Store’s dashboard (only if the snap was never downloaded).

To do it, get into the Store, select your package, and you will see a “trash bin” icon just by the title.

However, if the snap was ever downloaded, you would not find that icon, as you can not delete the package manually.

You can always close all the channels (effectively unpublishing the software), so nobody can install it anymore. But if you still want/need to really delete it, the last option is to file a bug here so an Admin takes care of it (you can set the bug as private if security concerns are involved).

Thanks!

3 Likes

Is this still accurate? I have a test snap with no revisions uploaded, yet I see no clear way to delete it.

Hello:

You can still close channels as Facundo mentioned above, this unpublishes the snap, but the name itself will still exist and be registered to you.

However, the trashcan Facundo mentioned is, indeed, no longer there. The reason was that its behavior was not clearly explained, and people assumed it meant “just delete all uploaded snaps and start anew”, where the meaning really was “please revoke this snap name forever and ever and you won’t ever be able to use it again” - a process which was difficult to revert.

If you really want some snap names you registered to be revoked (within the meaning I just explained above), the way to proceed for now is to file a bug as Facundo described, and make it private if for some reason you don’t want your request to be visible publicly. This will be processed manually, prior to which someone will explain in detail the consequences of revoking a name.

Note that as Gustavo mentioned, someone else can then register the same name again. The revocation is tracked on a per-developer basis which means just you will be unable to use that snap name again.

• Daniel

As a minor note, we make no promises that the name won’t be used again.

I’d like see an improvement in feature to delete a snap, i have examples snaps i built to test snapcraft building process and actually i’m receiving security email about old packages used even if the snap is not downloaded or used by anyone …