Fluxctl personal-files [Was: Fluxctl snap wants to be classic]

Dear @reviewers, I would like to request classic confinement for the fluxctl snap.

I would have loved to use the new personal-files plug, but that won’t cut it, as the list of files (kubectl config) fluxctl is not as deterministic as snacraft.yaml wants it. (Just like the kubectl snap itself.)

Also I can’t verify the weaveflux Ubuntu One account because of https://bugs.launchpad.net/canonical-identity-provider/+bug/1798624/comments/4

Looking for help! Thanks in advance!

https://github.com/weaveworks/flux/pull/1966 is the current piece of work.

Also I can’t verify the weaveflux Ubuntu One account because of https://bugs.launchpad.net/canonical-identity-provider/+bug/1798624/comments/4

@roadmr helped me figure this out. Thanks.

Hi Daniel, can you specifically describe some of accesses that make the snap require classic? You referenced both kubectl and weaveflux, but I’m not sure how they relate to your snap?

1 Like

fluxctl is part of https://github.com/weaveworks/flux - it’s a binary that lets you talks to a fluxd in your Kubernetes cluster, for this it uses k8s.io/client-go, just like kubectl does. This is the code that figures out where your kubeconfig lives and that’s not a deterministic list of files.

… and nice to see you around! :slight_smile:

Others have been using personal-files to access ~/.kube/config. Is what your snap needs different from that?

Maybe I’m doing it wrong. I’m stuck with this piece of yaml:

name: fluxctl
version-script: |
  FLUX_TAG="$(git tag -l | egrep -v '^(chart-|helm-|master-|pre-split)' | sort --version-sort | tail -n1)"
  if [ "$SNAPCRAFT_PROJECT_GRADE" = "stable" ]
  then
    echo "$FLUX_TAG"
  else
    GIT_REV="$(git rev-parse --short HEAD)"
    echo "$FLUX_TAG+$GIT_REV"
  fi
version: git
summary: fluxctl talks to Weave Flux and helps you deploy your code
description: |
  fluxctl talks to your Weave Flux instance and exposes all its
  functionality to an easy to use command line interface.
grade: devel # must be 'stable' to release into candidate/stable channels
confinement: strict
base: core18

plugs:
  personal-files:
    read:
      - $HOME/.kube/config
      - $HOME/.minikube/client.key
      - $HOME/.minikube/client.crt
      - $HOME/.minikube/ca.crt

parts:
  fluxctl:
    source: .
    plugin: go
    go-importpath: github.com/weaveworks/flux
    override-pull: |
      snapcraftctl pull
      export GOPATH=$(dirname $SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL)/go
      export PATH=$GOPATH/bin:$PATH
      cd $GOPATH/src/github.com/weaveworks/flux
      dep ensure
    build-packages:
      - gcc
      - go-dep
    prime:
      - bin/fluxctl

apps:
  fluxctl:
    command: bin/fluxctl

@popey recommended I use the snapcraft snap and multipass (beta). I hope that’s good.

When trying to run the above, I get:

[daniel@reef bin ]$ fluxctl identity
Error: Could not load kubernetes configuration file: invalid configuration: no configuration has been provided
Run 'fluxctl identity --help' for usage.
[daniel@reef bin ]$ snap connections | grep flux
personal-files          fluxctl:personal-files                     :personal-files                 manual
[daniel@reef bin ]$

Unfortunately I can’t find out with strace, nor with snappy-debug.scanlog which read operation failed or which file was not found.

Help?

strace itself can be tricky (but can be made to work). Did you try snap run --strace[=<any optional strace args>] -- fluxctl identity?

1 Like

Great advice! Thanks, I did not know about this.

This is where I’m stuck now and I’m not sure if $HOME did not work in snapcraft.yaml, or if it’s a separate issue.

[pid 11850] newfstatat(AT_FDCWD, "/home/daniel/snap/fluxctl/x2/.kube/config", 0xc0000ff078, 0) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
[pid 11850] newfstatat(AT_FDCWD, "/home/daniel/snap/fluxctl/x2/.kube/.kubeconfig", 0xc0000ff148, 0) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
[pid 11850] openat(AT_FDCWD, "/home/daniel/snap/fluxctl/x2/.kube/config", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
[pid 11850] newfstatat(AT_FDCWD, "/var/run/secrets/kubernetes.io/serviceaccount/token", 0xc0000ff218, 0) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
[pid 11850] write(2, "Error: Could not load kubernetes"..., 111Error: Could not load kubernetes configuration file: invalid configuration: no configuration has been provided
) = 111
[pid 11850] write(2, "Run 'fluxctl identity --help' fo"..., 41Run 'fluxctl identity --help' for usage.

When a snap starts, $HOME is set to ~/snap/<snap name>/<current snap revision> and fluxctl is apparently looking at $HOME (like a good snap should ;).

Since you actually want to know about the real home, you can adjust your snap accordingly. You can find the user’s home with: getent passwd $(id -un) | cut -d ':' -f 6.

@degville - as discussed - we should document this $HOME stuff…

2 Likes

Thanks @jdstrand again. This request can be closed. I’ve got it working (after quite a few round-trips). If anyone is going to look for example code in the future, it’s here:

https://github.com/weaveworks/flux/pull/1966

1 Like

Ah, apparently, it still needs review as it uses personal-files.

@dholbach - yes, it does. There is also an additional requirement that the interface reference needs to be something descriptive ( The personal-files interface)

Currently you have:

plugs:
  personal-files:
    read:
    - $HOME/.kube/config
    - $HOME/.minikube/ca.crt

This should be chnaged to:

plugs:
  kube-config:
    interface: personal-files
    read:
    - $HOME/.kube/config
    - $HOME/.minikube/ca.crt
apps:
  fluxctl:
    plugs:
    - kube-config

+1 for use and auto-connect of personal-files for the above accesses using the ‘kube-config’ interface reference.

@reviewers - can some of you also vote for this?

Reading through, personal-files for accessing ~/.kube and ~/.minikube makes sense to me. I’m +1 on the interface and auto-connection.

Thanks for the reviews and the feedback! I updated the PR and uploaded a new snap with the suggested changes.

2 votes for, 0 against. Granting use of personal-files as described in this topic.

FYI, I’ve approved r4 of the snap but you’ll need to release it to a channel. The snap will need to be manually approved until the review-tools change allowing the use of the kube-config interface reference is in production.

Since we last talked we moved on to https://github.com/fluxcd/flux/blob/master/snap/snapcraft.yaml#L50:L57

A colleague of mine wants to extend this and let me know that:

unfortunately, kind clusters can have --name set.
This means that while the files are under the same directory, they have arbitrary names. (~/.kube/kind-config-*)

Would this be possible in any way? Can we use *? Can we add directories to personal-files?

Paging @jdstrand and @mvo.