Does networkmanager support vpn

In https://docs.ubuntu.com/core/en/stacks/network/network-manager/docs/, it said Currently we do not support the following features:
VPN

But I found there is an easy-openvpn snap, and ncmli command has vpn connection option. So which is right?
Can I control l2tp pptp openvpn ipsec and GRE tunnel with networkmanager?

Thank you.

regarding the easy-openvpn snap see:

Thank you ogra. So if I want to use openvpn, I need to maintain a openvpn snap myself. How about other vpn, such l2tp pptp ipsec and GRE tunnel? Can I control them via networkmanager?

So if I want to use openvpn, I need to maintain a openvpn snap myself. How about other vpn, such l2tp pptp ipsec and GRE tunnel? Can I control them via networkmanager?

The network-manager snap does not currently allow this. Note that what NM has is plugins for some VPN types that help you control the VPN connections from nmcli/GUI, but you still need the VPN service client, like ipsec or pptp.

Adding support for this in the snap would require:

1. Creating a new snap for the VPN client of interest
  2. Adding the respective plugin to the NM snap
  3. Add permissions to current interfaces or maybe a new interface that allows interoperation between the NM and the VPN client snaps

So it is possible, but requires some work. Another option would be to create a new snap using the current NM snap as base that includes the VPN client - you might still need to propose changes in interface permissions. Either case, you can start from the NM snap sources in case you want to give it a go.

So, as you see, you would still have to maintain a new snap in any case.

Thank you abeato. I will try it.