Development sprint June 26th, 2017

##Summary

We’re doing a development-focused sprint for mid-2017 to discuss features in progress and the work ahead. Everyone in the community that participates or wants to participate closely on the development of snapd and snapcraft is welcome.

##Status

Done!

##Agenda

• :white_check_mark: Base snaps
  • :white_check_mark: User mapping
  • :white_check_mark: Layouts (previously “overmounts”)
  • :white_check_mark: AppStream support
  • :white_check_mark: Review the plans to fix last-validated refreshes
  • :white_check_mark: Epochs/stepped upgrades
  • :white_check_mark: Graphic user interfaces
  • :white_check_mark: Repair progress
  • :white_check_mark: Discuss a system for global warnings about persistent situations
  • :white_check_mark: Behavior of devmode updates
  • :white_check_mark: Kernel/Gadget updates
  • :white_check_mark: Updates of textual information (descriptions, etc)
  • :white_check_mark: Polishing the “grade” setting
  • :white_check_mark: Lazy registration of snapd in the store
  • :white_circle: Connecting interfaces from the gadget (metadata)
  • :white_circle: Handling of unknown kernels
  • :white_circle: Expressing snap entitlements, snapctl entitled <entitlement-keys> => yes/no|token
  • :white_circle: Look again at authority delegation and whether it’s something we can tackle before October
  • :white_circle: Interface hooks and auto connections
  • :white_circle: Allowing process to live through refreshes
  • :white_circle: Socket activation
  • :white_circle: Aliasing and suffix/prefix inverting in systemd units
  • :white_circle: How to mark store-signed serials for other/develpment cases
  • :white_circle: squashfs-fuse dependency issue (LXD)
  • :white_circle: Per user mount namespaces
  • :white_circle: Incremental builds in snapcraft
  • :white_circle: Snapcraft manifest design
  • :white_circle: Snapcraft build-on keyword with base-snaps
  • :no_entry: Hotplug (definitely happening, but not on this cycle)

##Date

June 26 - June 30.

##Location

London, UK

1 Like

Not sure if this is just snapd or more general, but I just wanted to mention I am on holidays almost all of June and we probably have a product sprint in July.

@sergiusens Given the sprints in July, if we want to add some spacing it needs to be end of June, or early September which feels too late.

It would be great to have snapcraft development in there too, but if you’re out all of June it may be tricky.

I am out from June 8 to June 27. So for me it would have to be first week of July or “last week of May”/“first of week of June”.

@sergiusens Problem of first week of July is that it pushes it towards the other sprint, so everybody would get a single week in between, and for people on cross-continental flights it becomes a bit uncomfortable and family-unfriendly to do two long-haul flights in the same week.

I notice June 27th is a Tuesday. One option would be to return a bit earlier.

That isn’t going to be possible, I’ll be on a cruise in Asia, everything sorted since January already :wink:

perhaps there are stll free spots on your ship … we could just join in :wink:

2 Likes

First week of June sounds good here.

Joining the cruise sounds good too. @ogra and I will take care of your kid so you can relax.

I’m coming too so @ogra and @elopio can watch my kids as well.

2 Likes

(+1 to first week of June)

If you guys want me there (dunno if you do), I cannot take any vacation until after June 8th.

Given that I’ll be coming back from Asia on June 27 and offering to sandwich a sprint in between this return and the departure to the product one mid July I don’t think I am being unreasonable :wink:

Yeah, by all means enjoy your well deserved holidays! Just not sure if we’ll manage to skip the entire month of June based on it… candidate week at the moment is the last one in June (26-30).

The sprint was approved. We’ll have it in the last week of June in Lisbon, Portugal. Sergio will try to join us on Wed-Fri.

@Conan_Kudo Neal, you’re very welcome to join us if you have the time. We’re happy to sponsor your ticket.

Thanks for the heads up! That sounds great.

2 Likes

Sounds great to me! I’m able to make it, so looking forward to it!

1 Like

Could this be made a wiki so that we can add things to the “agenda”? One thing I would like to discuss at the sprint is “hotplug” mostly to better understand whats the current thinking. I know the implementation is still off a bit.

@mvo done!

Everyone, sprint moved to London, UK, same dates.

Quick reminder that this sprint takes place next week, in London, UK.

I’ve added to the agenda some of the items that will be discussed there.

can we please have gadget updates on the agenda ? the pi images are months behind the stable kernel due to the lockstep with the binary blobs in the gadget.

1 Like