Create Kernel Snap based on deb packages

I am trying to make a kernel snap to use the generic on an amd64 architecture. There are existing compiled generic files for kernel v4.15. Is it possible to repackage these debian files into a kernel snap? If yes, what would that look like? The goal is to not have to compile the entire kernel if a precompiled version is already available.

If not, where would be the best example to create a generic Linux kernel v4.15 amd64 snap with the source being hosted on a git server and not locally?

NOTE: I was using the pc-kernel snap (based on v4.4.0), however I encountered a kernel bug, which has been resolved in v4.15.

It is possible to build a kernel snap from the deb packages, however, I hightly advise against it.
We have snapcraft.yaml in the root tree of our kernels past 4.4.0. You can do the following for the 4.15 kernel:

git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-bionic.git
cd ubuntu-bionic
snapcraft snap

This will build the pc-kernel snap for the current bionic (4.15) kernel. If you need specific versions, you can branch and checkout the tree you need.

You can see the snapcraft.yaml here [1].

Thanks!

[1] http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git/ubuntu/ubuntu-bionic.git/tree/snapcraft.yaml

Great! I will check it out! Is there a github mirror I can use? I can only clone over http/https on my company network unfortunately.

Can this kernel snap be created in ubuntu 16.04, and what are the package dependencies?

Sure.

git clone https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-kernel/ubuntu/+source/linux/+git/bionic

• Luke

Hi @wililupy, I can successfully clone the repo thanks! I am however running into a build issue on my Ubuntu 16.04 Server.

I clone the repository then checkout the Ubuntu-4.15.0-9.10 tag with a clean git repository.

I execute sudo snapcraft snap --target-arch amd64. The build fails and shows the following error:
make: *** No rule to make target 'firmware_install'. Stop.

If I am not mistaken, checking out on this tag, and creating the build should just work?

It should just work. Let me try to run it on my test system and I’ll let you know what I find.
One thing I noticed is that you are building using sudo which is not required to run snapcraft.
I also have never used the --target-arch amd64 flag when building

I’ll let you know what I discover.

Thanks,
Luke

Interesting. I tried to build on my xenial box and it failed, but at a different point. I got the following error:

Failed to run 'make -j8 CONFIG_PREFIX=/root/ubuntu-bionic/parts/kernel/install modules_install INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/root/ubuntu-bionic/parts/kernel/install firmware_install INSTALL_FW_PATH=/root/ubuntu-bionic/parts/kernel/install/lib/firmware' for 'kernel': Exited with code 2.
Verify that the part is using the correct parameters and try again.

I’m going to try to build on a clean system (LXC) and see what happens.

• Luke

This looks like the same error message, I am receiving the same error message as well. You can see that it attempted to run firmware_install as well. Did you happen to pipe/redirect this to a build log? If so, did you redirect stderr to stdout?

Perhaps the tag I am on Ubuntu-4.15.0-9.10 may have issues? The only location this is being called is from the file bionic/debian/scripts/misc/find-obsolete-firmware.

I was able to run snapcraft in debug mode trying to build the kernel and this is the output from the last few lines:

mkdir -p /home/wililupy/bionic/parts/kernel/install/lib/modules/4.15.2+/kernel/ubuntu/xr-usb-serial ; cp ubuntu/xr-usb-serial/xr_usb_serial_common.ko /home/wililupy/bionic/parts/kernel/install/lib/modules/4.15.2+/kernel/ubuntu/xr-usb-serial ; true /home/wililupy/bionic/parts/kernel/install/lib/modules/4.15.2+/kernel/ubuntu/xr-usb-serial/xr_usb_serial_common.ko ; if (echo "/home/wililupy/bionic/parts/kernel/install/lib/modules/4.15.2+/kernel/ubuntu/xr-usb-serial/xr_usb_serial_common.ko" | egrep -q "\/drivers\/staging\/") && [ -f ./drivers/staging/signature-inclusion ] && (! egrep -x "xr_usb_serial_common.ko" ./drivers/staging/signature-inclusion) ; then echo Not signing "/home/wililupy/bionic/parts/kernel/install/lib/modules/4.15.2+/kernel/ubuntu/xr-usb-serial/xr_usb_serial_common.ko"; else scripts/sign-file "sha512" "certs/signing_key.pem" certs/signing_key.x509 /home/wililupy/bionic/parts/kernel/install/lib/modules/4.15.2+/kernel/ubuntu/xr-usb-serial/xr_usb_serial_common.ko  && true /home/wililupy/bionic/parts/kernel/install/lib/modules/4.15.2+/kernel/ubuntu/xr-usb-serial/xr_usb_serial_common.ko; fi
  mkdir -p /home/wililupy/bionic/parts/kernel/install/lib/modules/4.15.2+/kernel/virt/lib ; cp virt/lib/irqbypass.ko /home/wililupy/bionic/parts/kernel/install/lib/modules/4.15.2+/kernel/virt/lib ; true /home/wililupy/bionic/parts/kernel/install/lib/modules/4.15.2+/kernel/virt/lib/irqbypass.ko ; if (echo "/home/wililupy/bionic/parts/kernel/install/lib/modules/4.15.2+/kernel/virt/lib/irqbypass.ko" | egrep -q "\/drivers\/staging\/") && [ -f ./drivers/staging/signature-inclusion ] && (! egrep -x "irqbypass.ko" ./drivers/staging/signature-inclusion) ; then echo Not signing "/home/wililupy/bionic/parts/kernel/install/lib/modules/4.15.2+/kernel/virt/lib/irqbypass.ko"; else scripts/sign-file "sha512" "certs/signing_key.pem" certs/signing_key.x509 /home/wililupy/bionic/parts/kernel/install/lib/modules/4.15.2+/kernel/virt/lib/irqbypass.ko  && true /home/wililupy/bionic/parts/kernel/install/lib/modules/4.15.2+/kernel/virt/lib/irqbypass.ko; fi

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/snapcraft/internal/common.py", line 67, in _run
    return runner(['/bin/sh'], stdin=run_file, **kwargs)
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/usr/lib/python3.5/subprocess.py", line 581, in check_call
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['/bin/sh']' returned non-zero exit status 2

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/snapcraft/_baseplugin.py", line 204, in run
    return common.run(cmd, cwd=cwd, **kwargs)
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/snapcraft/internal/common.py", line 75, in run
    _run(cmd, subprocess.check_call, **kwargs)
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/snapcraft/internal/common.py", line 71, in _run
    call_error=call_error) from call_error
snapcraft.internal.errors.SnapcraftCommandError: Failed to run 'make -j4 V=1 CONFIG_PREFIX=/home/wililupy/bionic/parts/kernel/install modules_install INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/home/wililupy/bionic/parts/kernel/install firmware_install INSTALL_FW_PATH=/home/wililupy/bionic/parts/kernel/install/lib/firmware': Exited with code 2.

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/bin/snapcraft", line 11, in 
    load_entry_point('snapcraft==2.42.1', 'console_scripts', 'snapcraft')()
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/click/core.py", line 722, in __call__
    return self.main(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/click/core.py", line 697, in main
    rv = self.invoke(ctx)
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/click/core.py", line 1043, in invoke
    return Command.invoke(self, ctx)
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/click/core.py", line 895, in invoke
    return ctx.invoke(self.callback, **ctx.params)
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/click/core.py", line 535, in invoke
    return callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/click/decorators.py", line 17, in new_func
    return f(get_current_context(), *args, **kwargs)
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/snapcraft/cli/_runner.py", line 79, in run
    ctx.forward(lifecyclecli.commands['snap'])
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/click/core.py", line 553, in forward
    return self.invoke(cmd, **kwargs)
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/click/core.py", line 535, in invoke
    return callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/snapcraft/cli/lifecycle.py", line 135, in snap
    project_options, directory=directory, output=output)
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/snapcraft/internal/lifecycle/_packer.py", line 46, in snap
    execute('prime', project_options)
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/snapcraft/internal/lifecycle/_runner.py", line 79, in execute
    _Executor(config, project_options).run(step, part_names)
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/snapcraft/internal/lifecycle/_runner.py", line 191, in run
    self._run_step(step, part, part_names)
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/snapcraft/internal/lifecycle/_runner.py", line 236, in _run_step
    getattr(part, step)()
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/snapcraft/internal/pluginhandler/__init__.py", line 438, in build
    self._runner.build()
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/snapcraft/internal/pluginhandler/_runner.py", line 97, in build
    self._builddir)
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/snapcraft/internal/pluginhandler/_runner.py", line 160, in _run_scriptlet
    scriptlet_name, function_call.strip())))
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/snapcraft/internal/pluginhandler/_runner.py", line 208, in _handle_builtin_function
    function(**function_args)
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/snapcraft/plugins/kbuild.py", line 258, in build
    self.do_install()
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/snapcraft/plugins/kernel.py", line 462, in do_install
    super().do_install()
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/snapcraft/plugins/kbuild.py", line 250, in do_install
    self.make_install_targets)
  File "/snap/snapcraft/1594/lib/python3.5/site-packages/snapcraft/_baseplugin.py", line 208, in run
    exit_code=process_error.returncode) from process_error
snapcraft.internal.errors.SnapcraftPluginCommandError: Failed to run 'make -j4 V=1 CONFIG_PREFIX=/home/wililupy/bionic/parts/kernel/install modules_install INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/home/wililupy/bionic/parts/kernel/install firmware_install INSTALL_FW_PATH=/home/wililupy/bionic/parts/kernel/install/lib/firmware' for 'kernel': Exited with code 2.
Verify that the part is using the correct parameters and try again.

I have tried building a kernel snap in LXC, in a clean KVM, on my local machine, and even with snapcraft cleanbuild and they all fail at this same spot. I have also tried using snapcraft from all the different channels (Edge, Beta, Stable and Candidate) to no avail.
If I build the kernel straight up, no snapcraft, the kernel builds, so it makes me think that we may have a bug in the kernel plugin unless anyone else reading this thread has had success, then I am all ears as to what has changed and what I am doing wrong.
I can include the entire Debug dump from trying to build the kernel snap. Uncompressed it is 44M and 58,000+ lines in size, but as tgz it is 946k.

-Luke

Hi @wililupy, Is it possible to do an override build in the snapcraft.yaml definition, instead of using the kernel plugin?

I have never tried it.

Ok, so I was able to successfully build a kernel snap from the stock snapcraft.yaml in the xenial git repo, so it must be someway that the bionic kernel is being built by the plugin. I will ask the maintainers if they have any insight on this.

• Luke

Hi Wililupy, Great sounds good! I have also created a question on the launchpad: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-signed/+question/670902.

It would seem like getting the kernel snap to build would be a crucial part of advancing to Ubuntu Core 18, if I am not mistaken.

Thanks for the help! Please keep me up to date.

Apply these two patches:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2018-July/093905.html

and

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2018-July/093908.html

to fix the build.

I’ve submitted both for inclusion in the next cycle.

Great thanks @ppisati. I will try this out. Also, what tag were you compiling against and what are the required apt packages should be installed to compile the kernel?

Hi all, thank you all very much on resolving this issue for me! I can successfully create the kernel snap with the patches suggested. I did encounter another problem but is outside the scope of this issue.

Hey ppisati,

Where do you apply these patches and what is the command to do so? Haven’t done much with patching.

Thanks

to the snapcraft,yaml in the kernel tree that @wililupy pointed to in post #2