Cannot update snap namespace: cannot expand mount entry

I have started to get this error. Removing and installing the snap does not help. It did work before so I have probably done something wrong that triggered this but can’t come up with what. Other snaps works, it’s only this one that doesn’t.

sudo snap install --channel 3.3/stable juju_33

$ juju_33 version
cannot update snap namespace: cannot expand mount entry (none $HOME/.local/share none x-snapd.kind=ensure-dir,x-snapd.must-exist-dir=$HOME 0 0): cannot use invalid home directory "/home/joakim": permission denied
snap-update-ns failed with code 1

Hi ! @jocken .

What’s the output of this command ?

echo $HOME

$ echo $HOME
/home/joakim

And this :

ls -ld $HOME
$ ls -ld $HOME
drwx--x---+ 38 joakim joakim 16384 apr 26 12:00 /home/joakim

Okay change these permissions, and try again.

sudo chmod 755 $HOME

You can revert, if this does not work.

Did not work unfortunately…

Please, show again the output.

Perhaps, the problem emanates from the program snap itself.

Sorry here it is:

$ juju_33 version
cannot update snap namespace: cannot expand mount entry (none $HOME/.local/share none x-snapd.kind=ensure-dir,x-snapd.must-exist-dir=$HOME 0 0): cannot use invalid home directory "/home/joakim": permission denied
snap-update-ns failed with code 1

Yeah, I see .

You can revert the perms .

chmod 710 $HOME

Perhaps this error should be reported to the creator of the program. :face_with_monocle:

Maybe, @ogra can help.

Please see:

which seems to be the same issue (using the search function of the forum is often a very useful thing :wink: )

2 Likes

Wow, that solved it, thanks! And yeah I feel a bit embarrassed I didn’t search for it. I search everywhere else than on this forum :face_with_peeking_eye: Probably a bit spoiled from the fast responses here :smiley:

2 Likes

I didnt mean to embarrass you (or anyone else), but @baldeuniversel is pretty active here recently and i would expected them to actually look around before jumping to random tries of fixes :slight_smile:

1 Like