Call for testing Signal Desktop Updates

We need your help to test the signal-desktop snap.

We just ported signal-desktop to core22. The snap is a bit smaller and should be a bit more stable as it’s now using the latest desktop integration.

Since this is a pretty big change, I’d like some more people testing this. You can find this version in the edge channel: snap refresh signal-desktop --edge.

It would be a great help if you could go through one or more of the steps in the testplan and report whether everything works.

Testplan

You don’t have to do every step! Just check the steps that you did so we have a rough idea of what functionality you tested.

• [ ] start signal
  • [ ] disconnect from mobile (File -> Preferences -> Clear data) and reconnect
  • [ ] access different submenus
  • [ ] write messages
  • [ ] receive messages
  • [ ] record voice message
  • [ ] listen to voice message
  • [ ] take picture
  • [ ] attach file from filesystem
1 Like

@q-wertz a new build just finished, can you test it? image

Seems to work fine :+1:

On first start I had an error which crashed it (sorry copy didn’t work) but after a restart of the app every seems fine.

Should we make a list of what shall be tested?
e.g.

• [ ] disconnect from mobile (File -> Preferences -> Clear data) and reconnect
  • [ ] access different submenus
  • [ ] write messages
  • [ ] receive messages
  • [ ] connection to camera
  • [ ] connection to audio/mic (listen to audio message, send audio message)
  • [ ] send picture/file from local filesystem
2 Likes

Thanks, this is now pushed to stable.

Maybe caused by this upstream snapd bug? https://github.com/snapcrafters/signal-desktop/issues/8

Ideally, the connection to camera and audio/mic should be tested too. So maybe listen to an audio message, create an audio message, send a picture taken with signal.

Also send a picture from the filesystem, since that tests the file open dialog too.

Updated the list according to your reply :+1:

1 Like

Great! Let’s add the testplan in the first post. The first post in this thread is now a wiki. This means you should be able to edit it yourself. Feel free to change/modify it to your liking.

1 Like

v5.13.0

Testplan

• [x] start signal
  • [x] disconnect from mobile (File -> Preferences -> Clear data) and reconnect
  • [x] access different submenus
  • [x] write messages
  • [x] receive messages
  • [x] record voice message
  • [x] listen to voice message
  • [x] take picture
  • [x] attach file from filesystem
1 Like

Awesome, thanks! v5.13.0 is now in stable.

A new version is building now. Please test it once it’s in the edge channel.

v5.14.0

On Ubuntu 21.04:

Testplan

[x] start signal
[x] disconnect from mobile (File -> Preferences -> Clear data) and reconnect
[x] access different submenus
[x] write messages
[x] receive messages
[x] record voice message
[x] listen to voice message
[x] take picture
[x] attach file from filesystem
1 Like

Thanks! This is now in stable.

A new version is in the edge channel.

5.15.0 is now released to stable, thanks @ivo.cavalcante for helping to test this release :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I recently installed Signal Desktop thru the snap package installer and it worked for a few days and now when opening I just get a blue screen with no options at all. I’ve tried updating snap I’ve tried uninstalling -reinstalling Signal to no avail.
Running all the updater’s I continually get all are up to date.
Would appreciate any help.
Linux Mint 19.1
Signal ver 5.15

1.17.1 is in edge, if you have time, please test it and let me know how it goes.

@q-wertz

v5.17.1
Testplan

• [x] start signal
  • [x] write messages
  • [x] receive messages
  • [x] take picture

In the Debug Log there are some errors (some errors concerning FilPermissions). Not sure if related to the snap or from upstream. Should I append them?

Thanks!

Another version is in edge. 5.17.2 is now available for testing.

v5.17.2 on Ubuntu 21.04 (Wayland)

Testplan:

• [x] start signal
  • [x] write messages
  • [x] receive messages
  • [x] take picture

I got the hint on my phone that the security number of personx has been marked from a different device as not verified and directly after that, that it has been marked as verified (in each chat that personx is in).
But I don’t think that’s related to the snap.

1 Like

Great, thanks! This is now in stable.

I agree, this is probably not related to the snap. I tested it myself and didn’t see such messages.