Minecraft, unless you’ve been living under a rock, you have probably heard of this
It’s a proprietary game where you punch trees, collect resources, build houses and try to survive.
How To Install
Note: To play Minecraft you need a Mojang account which you can sign up for at the Mojang Store (basically you need to have bought the Java edition at some point). If you haven’t done that, or aren’t prepared to do that, then this snap is probably not for you (maybe get your 8 year old kid to test instead ).
snap install minecraft --candidate
- I have currently only published an amd64 (64-bit Intel) build of Minecraft so far.
- This will install Minecraft and the Oracle JRE as a snap. That means it’s independent of any existing JRE/JDK or Minecraft install.
- As it’s a snap, it won’t have access to your
~/.minecraftdirectory, so won’t see or interfere with existing maps, mods or other things lurking in that directory.
.minecraftdirectory for this snap can be found in
~/snap/minecraft/commonin case you want to add mods/themes etc
How to run
To ensure you’re running the snapped version (as opposed to any other version you may have installed) while testing, you can either:-
snap run minecraft
But if you have no other Minecraft packages or launchers installed, you should just be able to click the familiar icon in your desktop.
As usual we’re looking for as wide a pool of testing as possible!
I’ve tested on Intel integrated graphics and a multi-screen nVidia proprietary setup.
I’ve not tested on AMD graphics cards, wayland or non-Ubuntu systems (yet). So feedback welcomed there.
Theme support in snaps causes the window to look like a Windows 3.11 / vanilla Java app on some platforms, and in some cases for the latest news in the launcher to not appear, but the game runs.
- Links don’t open - so clicking ‘Register’ doesn’t work, and the links to blog posts on the right of the launcher don’t work
- The snap is a little bulky (246MB). I’m looking at ways to slim it down
Please report on this thread which I’ll monitor for issues and suggestions.