Call for testing: chromium 68.0.3440.75

Call for testing: chromium 68.0.3440.75

Description

Chromium is an open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster, and more stable way for all Internet users to experience the web.

Version 68.0.3440.75 is the latest stable release from Google.

How to install

snap install chromium --candidate

Note that the snap can coexist with the ubuntu packages. If you wish to remove the ubuntu packages to use solely the snap, you can do:

sudo apt remove "chromium-*"

Alternatively, the same version built directly from source is available in another channel (amd64 only for now):

snap install chromium --channel=candidate/from-source

Requested Setups

That version of the snap is expected to work on Ubuntu 16.04, 17.04, 17.10 and 18.04, and more generally on any linux distribution that supports snaps.

Specific Tests

I’m interested in your feedback using the snap for your normal browsing activities and workflows, including web development.

Please report any issues you encounter in this thread. Thanks!

Using the from-source version in Ubuntu 18.04 with Wayland and everything seems fine. Thanks for this!

I’ve just found one missing feature: is it possible to create shortcuts for Web apps with the chromium snap?

This is a feature that’s known not to work, see this bug.

chromium 68.0.3440.75 has been promoted to the stable channel.

With the latest update of the candidate/from-source channel (68.0.3440.106) I’m getting a lot of “Oh no! This tab stop responding” in Webs like:

• WhatsApp
  • YouTube
  • TweetDeck
  • Gmail

Is anybody else affected?

Yes, I’m aware of the issue and I am investigating it. Any page that embeds video is affected, so it’s pretty bad, but it’s not affecting chromium in any other channel, as far as I know, only candidate/from-source.

This should be fixed now, please update to the latest revision in candidate/from-source (420) and confirm that it works for you.

The corners noted in Call for testing: chromium 65.0.3325.146 are still present.

@casey: I am not seeing that. Which channel/version of the chromium snap is this, on which distro?

It’s working OK now! Thanks!

Which was the problem?

I didn’t get to the bottom of the crash but the backtrace indicated that it had to do with clang’s Control Flow Integrity, so I restored a build flag that is also used when building chromium deb packages (this commit), and it did the trick.

I’m running chromium 68.0.3440.106 on Ubuntu 18.04 using the standard theme.

Ubuntu 18.04.1
Chromium 68.0.3440.106 (421)

Tested over a period of about six hours.
All worked ok except the icons next to the filename in file upload dialog are missing.

Thanks @PaulW2U, I’m seeing the same and I am looking into it.

Hi I have this issue with the fonts on Fedora 28
Version 68.0.3440.106 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Any idea? What can I do to help debug? (I’m not an expert as you guys :D)

Last night I was using revision 437 which I left running when I suspended my laptop. This morning when I resumed operation I used Chromium briefly before switching to another application and workspace.

Within a minute or two I noticed that Chromium’s indicator in Ubuntu Dock to show it was being used had gone. I switched back to Chromium’s workspace to find it had crashed. On restarting it offered to restore web pages as it had shutdown incorrectly.

“snap changes” shows I am now using revision 438 after an auto refresh which happened a couple of minutes after I switched on my laptop.

I’m new to snaps so I don’t know what I should have seen when the application auto-refreshed. I suspect either nothing or a message from Chromium to advise of the update. Or was the crash just a coincidence and not related to the refresh?

Ubuntu 18.04.1
Chromium 68.0.3440.106 (438)

A further issue is that going to http://extensions.gnome.org produces the following error:

Although GNOME Shell integration extension is running, native host connector is not detected. Refer documentation for instructions about installing connector.

Both Chrome and the regular version of Chromium allow me to use that site to manage extensions.

That’s a known issue: bug #1741074.

I have two cosmetic issues:

1. The cursor when hovering the UI becomes old fashioned
  2. It doesn’t follow my current theme (Communitheme) but uses Adwaita instead