Call for testing: Ardour

I’ve released a Snap of Ardour onto the Snap Store, for all the FLOSS music producers out there.

Currently requires you to allow permissions to all Audio interfaces & USB, but having them connect automatically is in progress.

It’s available here: Install Ardour on Linux | Snap Store

Until the auto-connect request is taken care of, you will have to manually allow permissions via sudo snap connect or the Snap Store interface for proper functionality.

It should also be possible to load plugins into Ardour, placed in these locations:

• ~/snap/ardour-snap/common/ladspa
  • ~/snap/ardour-snap/common/lv2
  • ~/snap/ardour-snap/common/lxvst

Please test it and let me know what you think.

I have never used Ardour before. Here are my comments:

you should add in the description something like : To connect a snap to the ALSA interface, run the following command: $ sudo snap connect <snap name>:alsa

Strange to not be able to run the app from ‘snap run ardour-snap’ (but OK from ‘snap run ardour-snap.ardour’).

Maybe this debug log can be interresting for you (Ubuntu 24.04):

WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory!
         This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your system runs
         out of memory. You can view the memory limit with 'ulimit -l', and it
         is normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf

WARNING: Could not check your glib-2.0 for mutex locking atomic operations.

Ardour8.7.0 (built using 8.7 and GCC version Ubuntu Clang 14.0.0)
Ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to 1048576 open files
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /snap/ardour-snap/2/usr/etc/ardour8/system_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading user configuration file /home/me/snap/ardour-snap/2/.config/ardour8/config
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: GenuineIntel
Ardour: [INFO]: AVX capable processor
Ardour: [INFO]: AVX with FMA capable processor
Ardour: [INFO]: AVX512F capable processor
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400H @ 2.70GHz
Ardour: [INFO]: Using AVX512F optimized routines
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading plugin meta data file /snap/ardour-snap/2/usr/share/ardour8/plugin_metadata/plugin_tags
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /snap/ardour-snap/2/usr/etc/ardour8/default_ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading user ui configuration file /home/me/snap/ardour-snap/2/.config/ardour8/ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading 461 MIDI patches from /snap/ardour-snap/current/usr/share/ardour8/patchfiles
Gtk-Message: 20:14:05.297: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading color file /snap/ardour-snap/2/usr/share/ardour8/themes/dark-ardour.colors
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /snap/ardour-snap/2/usr/etc/ardour8/clearlooks.rc
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading bindings from /snap/ardour-snap/2/usr/etc/ardour8/ardour.keys
Loading ui configuration file /snap/ardour-snap/2/usr/etc/ardour8/clearlooks.rc
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:466:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: Operation not permitted

(ardour-8.7.0:5410): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 20:14:05.356: Error creating IO channel for /proc/self/mountinfo: Permission denied (g-file-error-quark, 2)
Found nothing along /home/me/snap/ardour-snap/2/.config/ardour8/templates:/snap/ardour-snap/current/usr/share/ardour8/templates

(ardour-8.7.0:5410): Gtk-WARNING **: 20:14:05.386: Could not find the icon 'inode-directory'. The 'hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
	http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases```

Not strange at all considering that short-hand writing of the Snap name only works if both the package and app are called the same (so ardour-snap.ardour-snap).

I’d rather wait for the autoconnect review to finish.

OK, you’re right, I remember now.

I have play with the menus, and tried to record sound (without success because I’m a newbie with Ardour). I wish to report that when I restart Ardour it is always in English instead to switch to French.