Auto-connecting the joystick interface for the chromium snap

This is a request to auto-connect the joystick interface for the chromium snap.
It has recently been pointed out to me that this interface was needed to enable playing stadia games in chromium with a joystick. Auto-connecting it would make the process even smoother for end-users.

3 Likes

Sorry for the delay on this, it was misfiled since it used the ā€˜storeā€™ category instead of ā€˜store-requestsā€™.

Iā€™m somewhat conflicted about this since obviously we want to allow joysticks for games that are snaps, but chromium is not a game itself. I wonder if there is a way to use snapctl is-connected joystick and let the user know. Can you comment on if there is an acceptable UX around this? @reviewers - what do others think?

snapctl is-connected sounds like a very nice improvement, Iā€™m looking forward to being able to use it in a few places.

However Iā€™m not sure what the UX would look like in this specific case. I guess this would require patching chromium non-trivially to detect when it tries to access a joystick and fails to do so, and display some user feedback (ideally non-blocking, e.g. a dismissable ribbon that suggests connecting the interface). That sounds like a sizeable amount of work to address a corner case.

1 Like

@oSoMoN - well, I think perhaps it wouldnā€™t be a contextual prompt, but perhaps something in the wrapper that could inform the user that if they want to play games, then they may want to connect the joystick. I realize this isnā€™t perfect UX.

@reviewers - can others comment?

In absence of any existing way to prompt the user, I feel we should auto-connect.

If a user has Chromium installed, itā€™s almost certainly likely to be used for general web browsing. They will likely not be installing it primarily for gaming (unlike for example, Steam). As such there may be a significant time delta between the installation of the browser, and subsequent discovery and attempt to play a game in the browser. As such theyā€™re likely to be confused why their gamepad / joystick ā€œdoesnā€™t workā€ in the browser, which may claim to be supported.

For this reason, Iā€™m +1 on auto-connecting joystick for Chromium.

Iā€™m -1 on auto-connecting joystick to Chromium. Chromium is not a game, so joystick is not crucial to its use/experience.

Thereā€™s a well-established pattern of browsers requesting permissions to devices they need, that would be a better pattern, I think.

• Daniel

@jdstrand - What is the threat-model if joystick is auto-connected? I notice that the interface allows all input devices via AppArmor but then this is constrained via the device cgroup to be only devices tagged as a joystick by udev. So I donā€™t see a huge problem myself in auto-connecting this (but if I am missing something please let me know).

So +1 from me to auto-connect joystick in this case since playing games via a web-browser is pretty common these days and we auto-connect joystick for other games etc.

Device files provide an attack surface to the kernel. We donā€™t auto-connect joystick in general because most snaps donā€™t need it and we are limiting the scope of an attack against a joystick driver to only those snaps that reasonably need it.

Iā€™m conflicted because a browser is a huge piece of software that processes vast amounts of untrusted input (even if chromium itself has a solid security design and is well coded, it gets CVE updates routinely and it would be a shame if one of those could be chained with a joystick driver CVE to break out of the sandbox). A browser isnā€™t historically a platform for gamers, but as this request suggests, it is becoming one.

@reviewers - if you havenā€™t voted yet, can you review the topic and cast your vote?

With the advent of Google Stadia, which prefers Chromium/Chrome, the scope of the browser is changing. I am +1 for auto-connecting the joystick interface as we do for games.

-1 for auto-connecting the joystick for the reasons I gave previously.

3 votes for, 2 against for auto-connecting the joystick. As per our voting procedures, granting auto-connection. This is now live.