Access to NAS drive

A workaround is to probably mount the NAS drive under the /media directory manually in order to allow the snap to access it. For example: mount - How to map a network drive? - Ask Ubuntu.

When you say ‘actual snap name’, where do I find that, as all the names showing up in snap list do not work with the sudo snap command

It should be listed in the Name column of the output of the snap list command

What is the exact error message? Also it would be helpful if we focus on a certain snap that you’ve encountered this problem.

error: snap “snap_name” (whichever) has no plug named “removable-media”

This indicates that the snap doesn’t assert the removable-media interface, you have to contact its maintainer to assert it and push a new build that enables the interface.

Please explain ‘assert the removable-media interface’, you are dealing with a total dullard here

This means that the maintainer(packager) has to enumerate the interface in the build recipe of this particular snap. Unfortunately this isn’t something that can be done by the end user.

Sorry, but I do not understand any of that, can you please explain plain English
Are you saying I need to speak to Western Digital with regard to this, for if so I can see my use of Ubuntu soon coming to an end, as WD are not going to be that interested in linux solutions at this point in time

Nope, you’ll have to speak with the person that publish the particular snap you’re using in order to solve this, the contact information may be available in the Snap Store.

The snap being used was downloaded with Ubuntu 18.04, so does this mean they have included this without thought of the effects on users with NAS drives?
I am starting to feel rather negative if this is the case, as I walked away from Windows because of what I perceived to be a total lack of consideration for the end user

Which snap in particular you’re talking about? The network mount is a relatively minor usecase that might not being worked on as of now, please give the developers a bit more time to resolve this issue.

I am sorry, but it is not a minor user case for mewhen it stops me working. New methodology should only be implemented once it can be used as previously
I regularly use LibreOffice, but now find it unsuitable due to reading and writing to the NAS drive
I have just read that LibreOffice can be removed and reinstalled in Debian format,which rather defeats the object and of course, how much longer will this be possible?
I have quickly become one massive disillusioned user

I’m afraid this is not the case for snaps to be the least.

As far as I can tell Ubuntu 18.04 do ship the Debian format Libreoffice by default, also you may use the LibreOffice Fresh PPA if you require recent releases.

Mine loaded with a Snaps version, which I now intend to bin and use the Debian version, but should the situation occur that it is Snaps or nothing, then unless there is a massive seed change, then Ubuntu will be binned as well

I had the same problem with keepassxc snap. The snap can not access the path of my other hard disc for storage which is mounted at /media/data

The solution is to install the snap in classic mode:
snap install --classic keepassxc

This allows the snap to access all system files. Until the snap developers create the required interface installing with --classic mode is the only solution i can see.

(An interface consists of a connection between a slot and a plug. The slot is the provider of the interface while the plug is the consumer, and a slot can support multiple plug connections.) Interface management

… but the libreoffice snap does have the removable-media slot.

In gnome software, you can search for libreoffice, click it, click Permissions, and in there make sure Read/write files on removable storage devices is checked.
Like so:

2 Likes

Connect the snap to the removable-media interface and you’re good to go, no need to install the snap in --classic mode. Note that strictly confined snaps does not guarantee it will run properly in classic confinement as well.

jonathon@KDE-DiningR:~$ snap interfaces keepassxc

Slot Plug
:desktop-legacy brave,cumulonimbus,eog,keepassxc,opera
:gsettings brave,cumulonimbus,eog,keepassxc,opera,spotify
:home brave,cumulonimbus,eog,keepassxc,opera,spotify
:network brave,cumulonimbus,eog,keepassxc,opera,spotify
:network-bind keepassxc
:opengl brave,cumulonimbus,keepassxc,opera,spotify
:unity7 brave,cumulonimbus,eog,keepassxc,opera,spotify
:wayland brave,cumulonimbus,eog,keepassxc,spotify
:x11 cumulonimbus,keepassxc,opera,spotify

• keepassxc:raw-usb
  • keepassxc:removable-media

Example:
$ snap connect snap:plug-interface snap:slot-interface

jonathon@KDE-DiningR:~$ snap connect keepassxc:removable-media :keepassxc
error: snap “core” has no slot named “keepassxc”

The slot column is empty or it has nothing assigned. Any suggestions?

You are connecting from the keepassxc snap’s removable-media plug to the core snap’s removable-media slot, so the proper command is:

• snap connect keepassxc:removable-media core:removable-media

as the target snap is the core snap it can be abbreviated to:

• snap connect keepassxc:removable-media :removable-media
  • snap connect keepassxc:removable-media

Command worked thanks