Zoom-client wont start

I tried to use zoom-client snap to survive until EOL of CENTOS 7. (Zoom doesn’t support the still alive RH7 eco system anymore).

cat /etc/system-release
CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009 (Core)

However with a fresh system update, zoom-client revisions 215 220 and 225 won’t start (same failure). Here is my log:

Is there any idea? Thanks in advance, uhle89

May be try cleaning the app data. It’s at $HOME/snap/zoom-client

1 Like

Thanks. Didn’t help.

1 Like

Still same error? Can you kindly share the current error once again?

1 Like

Here please. Nothing changed.

1 Like

Can you kindly check if there is any file named zoomus.conf in that folder. Also pinging @ogra, kindly help in this situation.

1 Like

What is the full output of snap version and if you monitor the system journal or run snappy-debug while trying to start zoom, are there any audit messages ?

This sounds less like an issue with the zoom snap than something with snapd, namespaces and cgroup handling, but lets see some logs…

1 Like
$ snap version
snap    2.61.2-0.el7
snapd   2.61.2-0.el7
series  16
centos  7
kernel  3.10.0-1160.114.2.el7.x86_64
2 Likes

sudo journalctl --output=short --follow --all | sudo snappy-debug

zoom-client shows kernel.printk_ratelimit = 0 and nothin else.

2 Likes

No. Probably since I never successfully started zoom-client. I only have zoomus.conf from the original zoom client provided by Zoom in

$(HOME)/.config/

which should not bother I think

1 Like

Hmm, anything else related to zoom if you just run journalctl -f while starting zoom ?

1 Like

ok journalctl -f gives

same signal as in the log file.

Is there any further idea what I can do to get zoom-client work?

I recently released an updated snap of 6.x, can you make sure you are on the updated versio n and try again?

$ snap list

zoom-client 6.0.2.4680 228 latest/stable ogra -

Same behaviour however.

So who provides and uses libcef.so mentioned above? It seems the error is caused by this lib.

Here are my solutions

1. ZOOMs recommendation to upgrade the OS: of course this works. However, this is IMHO not (always) appropriate, especially before EOL. In case of RHEL 7 there is also a long-term-support option, if for some reason the OS shall be kept.

2. Add the missing libraries (e.g. symbol version GLIBCXX_3.4.21) by hand. This works for the still accepted zoom-5.16.x series RPMs at least - which are however soon deprecated as well. I thought, snap will isolate the user from such dependencies, which seems not to be true. For next higher version 5.17.x, snap zoom-client also depends on more OS libraries, like newer libQt and therefore snap is no means here.

3. I successfully installed the flatpak version of zoom 6.0.12, which indeed runs smooth also on RHEL7/Centos7 including hardware acceleration.