Why does chromium snap ask me to "CANCEL OR ALLOW"?

How do I disable this? Everytime I click a link.

This is actually something we’ve improved for the next snapd release: if you have xdg-desktop-portal installed, you should see a nicer dialog with the option to not show the dialog in future for the app.

The snap sandbox prevents applications from interfering with each other, so the “open downloaded file with the associated application” operation is not as simple as it might first appear to be. Instead, it needs to ask a service running outside of the sandbox to open the application on its behalf. The dialog you’re cursing about was an attempt to allow the user to cancel the action if they didn’t expect the app to try and launch another application.

xdg-desktop-portal may still end up showing an interstitial dialog, but it will also let you choose to allow the application to open future files without the prompt. That will get rid of the interface wart.

5 Likes

How do I install it?

Run apt install xdg-desktop-portal xdg-desktop-portal-gtk if you are on Ubuntu.

When I saw this post’s title, I couldn’t help but think of:

https://youtu.be/8CwoluNRSSc

Although, now Mac asks Cancel or Allow more than almost anyone. :wink:

Seriously though, xdg-desktop-portal should do the trick, and sandboxing reduces the damage of a hacked app significantly. As @jamesh said, it should be improved soon.