What should I do about menu.lst selection?

Hi,
I’m still new with snapcraft so I’m not understand everything. However, during a few past days, I run a lot of snapcraft clean -> snapcraft command combinations without any user input prompt. Today I was prompted to select something from grub related. Following questions raised:

1. Did I mess up my snapcraft environment?
  2. Which option should I choose?

Here logs snipped:

Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-1069-kvm
A new version of /boot/grub/menu.lst is available, but the version installed currently has been locally modified.

1. install the package maintainer's version    4. show a side-by-side difference between the versions         7. start a new shell to examine the situation
  2. keep the local version currently installed  5. show a 3-way difference between available versions
  3. show the differences between the versions   6. do a 3-way merge between available versions (experimental)
What would you like to do about menu.lst?

This is a problem with the virtual machine images. You did nothing wrong :slight_smile: For now, you can press 1 and then press enter to continue the process.

@cjwatson, is this something you can fix?

No - I haven’t been responsible for Ubuntu’s GRUB packaging in over five years. You’ll need to ask somebody who is.

1 Like

Perhaps @xnox can comment on GRUB things

Daniel Llewellyn via snapcraft.io forum@forum.snapcraft.io writes:

This is a problem with the virtual machine images. You did nothing wrong :slight_smile: For now, you can press 1 and then press enter to continue the process.

@cjwatson, is this something you can fix?

This is not something he is responsible for at all, however if this happened during the bootstrapping process as I suspect it has, then it is something we (Snapcraft) have to fix.

1 Like

speak to CPC team. Nothing in normal stock ubuntu uses menu.lst, it’s only cloud-images that can have them. And for buildd images it must not be there at all, imho.

1 Like

I suspect this is from when using multipass as the backend

Can confirm. I’m on Ubuntu 20.04 and building snaps with base18. If I remember correctly I was tried ‘Open Shell’ options (from an multipass icon at the top bar) few times. It’s been a while and I don’t remember what I did in shell (probably intention was to browse files, or just of curiousity) but I think upon first time when I open shell seems some initialization happened (I didn’t pay attention).

I have not used the Multipass GUI myself but this might be the problem. A shell in itself should not be the problem, but changing things inside the environment could trigger this behavior.