Vscodium will not start on 22.04

Hi Folks -

Something maddening is happening and I need help troubleshooting please… just did the following:

snap install vscodium --classic

All seemed to install fine.

But it won’t start, no matter what I do. I’ve waited too. Tried many times.

echo $?

So it thinks it starts form the cli.

I tried removing and install it again. Same result, nothing.

sudo journalctl --since=yesterday | grep audit

Shows:

… Feb 24 16:00:17 prax kernel: audit: type=1400 audit(1677272417.917:453): apparmor=“STATUS” operation=“profile_replace” info=“same as current profile, skipping” profile=“unconfined” name=“snap.codium.codium” pid=338384 comm=“apparmor_parser” …

But no DENIED.

/snap/codium/297 is mounted:

lsblk |grep codium

loop5                  7:5    0 174.6M  1 loop /snap/codium/297

Nothing appears in /var/log/* that I can find related.

Other snaps appear to start.

What am I missing/doing wrong? What can I do to troubleshoot further?

Shouldn’t be this much effort to run a snap…

Bob

this is a classic snap, it does not use confinement (or rather very very reduced confinement) … you wont find any denials or audit messages from it …

IIRC codium has a --verbose option that should print all output during startup to the terminal … perhaps that gives you some hints where it fails (i just installed it (on a 22.04 system), it works fine over here)

1 Like

It also doesn’t start on my install.

The --verbose option doesn’t print anything more than the normal run.

/snap/codium/297/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders: /snap/core18/current/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk3-nocsd.so.0)
/snap/codium/297/usr/share/codium/bin/../codium: /snap/core18/current/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk3-nocsd.so.0)

I’m using snapd from the edge channel.

snap version 
snap    2.58.3+git520.gb0848d7
snapd   2.58.3+git520.gb0848d7
series  16
ubuntu  22.04
kernel  5.15.0-67-generic

I’ve given up and just installed the *.deb file.

did you capture the output of the --verbose run so you could report it to the devs with some useful info ?

I investigated the problem on my install and it looks like the error that I posted before is causing VSCodium to not start.

I’m using Unity as my desktop environment. It is setup to use the gtk3-nocsd. The core18 snap has too old libc to satisfy gtk3-nocsd.

VSCodium starts under GNOME (X.org and Wayland).

Also I discovered one more snap that won’t start under Unity (or other DE using gtk3-nocsd) it is Cool Retro Term. It does work under GNOME.

aha ! that has been discussed with the unity maintainers before, but it looks like they did still not work out a fix …