Vscode does not open

When I click on the vscode icon absolutely nothing happens, and when I type code in the terminal the message appears:

dropping privs did not work: No such file or directory

(practically all packages downloaded by snap have this problem …)

Please, help me !

Hello. Sorry this isn’t working for you.

What linux distribution are you using?
Could you please run the following command, and paste the output here.
snap version
and
snap list

Thanks for answering me,
I’m using the Linux Mint 19.2 distribution

snap version:

snap       2.43.3
snapd      2.43.3
series     16
linuxmint  19.2
kernel     5.3.0-45-generic

snap list:

Name                     Version                     Rev   Tracking   Publisher   Notes
code                     0ba0ca52                    28    stable     vscode✓     classic
core                     16-2.44.1                   8935  stable     canonical✓  core
core18                   20200311                    1705  stable     canonical✓  base
gnome-3-28-1804          3.28.0-16-g27c9498.27c9498  116   stable     canonical✓  -
gtk-common-themes        0.1-29-g45e78c5             1474  stable     canonical✓  -
leagueoflegends          1.0                         56    edge       mmtrt       devmode
notepad-plus-plus        7.8.5                       227   stable     mmtrt       -
phpstorm                 2019.3.4                    151   stable     jetbrains✓  classic
snapd                    2.43.3                      6434  stable     canonical✓  snapd
wine-platform-3-stable   3.0.4                       6     stable     mmtrt       -
wine-platform-4-staging  4.20                        30    candidate  mmtrt       -
wine-platform-runtime    v1.0                        108   candidate  mmtrt

Can you post the output of the command mount | grep code

As a quick test, to see if this quick fixes it, can you try running:

sudo systemctl apparmor restart

Then try to run snap run code.

If it still fails, can you try a reboot?

Output of :

/dev/sda1 on /boot/efi type vfat (rw,noatime,fmask=0077,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
/var/lib/snapd/snaps/code_28.snap on /snap/code/28 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)

I tried running the command: sudo systemctl apparmor restart

The answer was:
Unknown operation apparmor.

When I try the code: snap run code

The answer was:
dropping privs did not work: No such file or directory

I will try a reboot

Sorry, my mistake, that should have been sudo systemctl restart apparmor. But a reboot might do it :slight_smile:

Thank’s! It resolve my problem, now is working perfectly! You save me :smile::clap:

I’m having a similar issue, running snap run code successfully starts VSCode, however running code . doesn’t start any processes (pgrep returns empty output). I have tried the above suggestions, but wasn’t able to resolve this issue.

There must be a change in your snapd permission. Use this “sudo chmod -R 0755 /var/lib/snapd”

There must be a change in your snapd permission. Use this “sudo chmod -R 0755 /var/lib/snapd”

do not ever do this !!!

there are many files and directories underneath this directory that are 0700 or even stricter, changing the whole lot of files and directories underneath /var/lib/snapd recursively to 0755 will likely break your system and rip open a ton of security holes.

Crud. Already did it. Any way to reverse it?