VMware Workstation Pro snap

Partially as a training exercise, partially just to reduce a mess at my workstation I’d like to install my VMware Workstation bundle as a snap. The app is distributed as a .bundle file see FILEext.
Does anybody have a hint about initiate and complete the task?
Are there snapcraft plugins appropriate to that file format?

1 Like

The biggest problem aside from the possibly non-redistributable licensing is that non-free hypervisors are usually shipping some out-of-tree kernel modules to be built and loaded on the host, which is not supported by snapd on classic systems.

Just my two cents.

1 Like

Thank you for your input.
These are good points, definitely.
I don’t feel afraid about the license related issue. There may be a generally available VMware Workstation Player/Pro package distributed with the snap without the license key. If a user has his/her license key, he/she will enter it. If not, the software will run in the 30-days trial period.
The second remark seems to be much more challenging.

Maybe the Vagrant snap package can be a good first step?

Yes, this is definitely so, you can run a free trial, and when it expires, you either introduce the key, or the app will just close and you will not be able to use it.

Just by the application having a key mechanism doesn’t negate the no-redistribution clauses:

License Restrictions.

Without VMware’s prior written consent, You must not, and must not allow any third party to:

• ( a ) …snipped…
  • ( b ) …snipped…
  • ( c ) make available Software in any form to anyone other than Your employees or contractors reasonably acceptable to VMware and require access to use Software on behalf of You in a matter permitted by this EULA, except as specified in Section 2.2 (Third Party Agents);
  • ( d ) transfer or sublicense Software or Documentation to an Affiliate or any third party, except as expressly permitted in Section 12.1 (Transfers; Assignment);
4 Likes

This would be a great case for snap multi-repository support. :<