Vlc player for arm64

I am using a Raspberry Pi 4B with Ubuntu 22.04. I am trying to install vlc player using snap but got the following error message.

$ sudo snap install vlc error: snap “vlc” is not available on stable for this architecture (arm64) but exists on other architectures (amd64).

Could the snap team please support vlc player on the arm64 platform?

VLC is maintained by upstream, you should use the contact info from the snap info vlc output to request this…

My Raspberry Pi 4B Snap store do not have information on the vlc package.

$ snap info vlc error: no snap found for “vlc”

There’s a contact link on the snapcraft page for vlc. Snap Store (snapcraft.io)

1 Like

Come to think of it, it’s a bit of an odd choice to not show any information if the architecture is different. Perhaps it should be possible to find a snap, but then both the output of snap find and snap info should clearly indicate that the app is not available for the host’s architecture.

1 Like

Agreed. I have a Mac running Aashi, and it does frustrate me that snap info flat out doesn’t show applications which are published under other architectures. Compare this to how snap install responds if an application is only available in the edge channel. You get a useful response:

$ snap install foo
error: snap "foo" is not available on stable but is available to install on the following
       channels:

edge       snap install --edge foo

Please be mindful pre-release channels may include features not completely tested or
       implemented. Get more information with 'snap info foo'.