vkQuake won't boot on Raspberry Pi 4

The error is: QUAKE ERROR: Couldn't create window: Installed Vulkan doesn't implement the VK_KHR_surface extension

Downloaded and ran the snap “vkquake”, as per these instructions: https://snapcraft.io/install/vkquake/raspbian

I have the latest Vulkan Drivers built from the apt-get source. You can see my methodology here: www.old-kid.com/vulkan I basically copied the process from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLzFPIoHhS8 I linked vkquake the required pak0.pak and pak1.pak with a “-basedir” command, and ran:

Command line: vkquake -basedir /home/pi/quake/
Found SDL version 2.0.8
Detected 4 CPUs.
Quake 1.09 (c) id Software
GLQuake 1.00 (c) id Software
FitzQuake 0.85 (c) John Fitzgibbons
FitzQuake SDL port (c) SleepwalkR, Baker
QuakeSpasm 0.93.0 (c) Ozkan Sezer, Eric Wasylishen & others
vkQuake 1.00.0 (c) Axel Gneiting & others
Host_Init
Playing registered version.
Console initialized.
UDP Initialized
Server using protocol 666 (FitzQuake)
Exe: 03:49:53 Jul  1 2018
256.0 megabyte heap

ERROR-OUT BEGIN

QUAKE ERROR: Couldn't create window: Installed Vulkan doesn't implement the VK_KHR_surface extension

Anybody know how to correct this? Thanks for any help you can provide! I know Vulkan stuff is new so there is bound to be bugs.

i could imagine your manual install puts everything into the /usr/local prefix by default (typically that is what manual builds do if you do not set a prefix yourself) … and i doubt snapd will link/bind anything from /usr/local into the snap environment … i’d try with setting a prefix to /usr or some such …

also, as you note vulkan is new and the pi is usually also a little non-standard, it could well be that the opengl snap interface needs some special treatment for vulkan on the pi…

try installing vkquake with the --devmode option to see if it might be something missing in an interface declaration.

Had the same error with the compiled version and the vulkan drivers not installed

sudo apt-get install mesa-vulkan-drivers