Versions can be at most 32 characters

The store is rejecting snap revisions where the version field is longer than 32 characters. Can we lift this? Minio, for example, is running into it with: RELEASE.2017-08-05T00-00-53Z+git14.3ff09b9.

Thanks

1 Like

btw, that version string is the one generated by git describe, which is used when we set version: git in the snapcraft.yaml.

While we get this solved, I’ve proposed a PR upstream:
https://github.com/minio/minio/pull/4806

That’s a pretty terrible version string, which makes me believe the length limit in place today is pretty helpful and shouldn’t be changed.

If this is the outcome of “version: git” in snapcraft, we need to fix it to not produce such strings. Since we first discussed this feature with @sergiusens, the reference we had in mind was the version we use in snapd, which looks like “2.26.14+git1463.g81dc18a”. In particular, having a full blown timestamp in the string, including hour/minute/second, sounds way over the top.

Update: I see these time strings are tags in the git repository itself, in which case I’d say the tag itself seems excessive. There’s plenty of timing information in the git metadata itself, rendering that kind of use unnecessary. Unless we find this sort use to be more common, I think we can just suggest setting the version manually or using a version script to fix the string (I would take “RELEASE.” out as well, for example)

Agreed, RELEASE is really not necessary as git allows you to separate regular tags and actual annotated tags meant for releasing.