Uploading .SNAP files via the snacraft website?

Is it possible to upload locally created SNAP files to the online release site and not have to use a ubuntu command line upload?

If not yet, is this something canonical is working on building into the site? It would make things easier for me as I switch back and forth from a VM with Ubuntu to my Windows pc.

No.

Actually this functionality existed a long time ago and it was removed explicitly because it was not used by a lot of people and it was difficult to maintain and support. So I’d say it’s not going to happen.

Can you detail your use case a bit more? Can you instead leverage automatic builds from a github repo so you don’t need to build locally on a VM?

• Daniel

Yes however we are needing to use the DUMP plugin to pull in our compiled application. GIT won’t allow large folders or .zip files to be uploaded to the site, so we are having to do everything locally in our Ubuntu Desktop VM.

My dev team sends me the .snap file when its ready, and it would be easy if i could login to the snapcraft.io site and upload it, vs startup my ubuntu desktop vm just to upload via command line.

Please educate me if there is a better way to do this, or if the build process could actually compile the application so we don’t have to use dump plugin.

Snapcraft as a CLI tool is actually usable natively on Windows since it’s written in Python; it sounds like the builds have not been kept up to date, but if you wanted to build your own installer, you could follow the steps from the CI for snapcraft: https://github.com/snapcore/snapcraft/blob/master/appveyor.yml. I also have it on good authority that there should be an update to the Windows artifacts coming soonish, if you would rather wait for that to be available instead.

Snapcraft 5.0 should start its release process end of next week, I can see to adding a Windows build (which we already CI/CD) signed for distribution.

3 Likes