Unexpectedly empty response from the server

snap refresh amazon-ssm-agent
error: cannot refresh "amazon-ssm-agent": unexpectedly empty response from the server (try again
       later)

We’re seeing this error across our entire fleet of servers, which hasn’t been happening in the past. The status page shows that there was downtime the past two days, but it reports everything is okay today. Can anybody tell me what’s going on with this? Thanks.

1 Like

Hi there,

Can you retry now? I spotted a configuration mistake (which I did in the first place, apologies) which caused requests for some snaps to intermittently return an empty result (I bet you did get refreshes on some of your servers, just not all of them - intermittent :slight_smile: ). It’s fixed now, all should be OK.

• Daniel
1 Like

Yep, seems to work now on a server which was broken at the time of my initial post.

Thanks for the quick fix!

Hmm, perhaps I spoke too soon. It did work on one of the servers I tried, but we’re still seeing errors on other servers. This is from about two minutes ago:

root@ip-10-3-0-94-staging:/home/me# date && snap refresh amazon-ssm-agent
Wed Mar 17 14:35:32 UTC 2021
error: cannot refresh "amazon-ssm-agent": unexpectedly empty response from the server (try again
       later)

I’ve been seeing what I believe is the same problem in some Github Actions runs, such as:

In this case, the snapcore/action-build does a snap refresh lxd early on, which is failing with the same error message:

/usr/bin/sudo snap refresh lxd
  error: cannot refresh "lxd": unexpectedly empty response from the server (try
         again later)
  Error: The process '/usr/bin/sudo' failed with exit code 1

I kicked off a retry of the run after reading your message, so it still seems to be happening.

I haven’t noticed any similar refresh errors today, so presumably it just took a while for the fix to propagate.

I got the same error today.

error: cannot refresh "core18": unexpectedly empty response from the server (try again later)