"Undefined symbol: g_date_copy" Problem

Hello friends,

I have installed GitHub Desktop on Elementary OS.

But when I run it I get the following error.

tolga@tolga-EOS:~$ github-desktop 
/snap/github-desktop/63/app/github-desktop: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_date_copy

Can you help me?

This sounds like a bug in the snap. The github-desktop snap uses classic confinement, so it can see the host system’s file system. This usually means it needs to be compiled in a way that it will pick bundled libraries in preference to the host system libraries, and that appears that hasn’t happened here.

In this particular case either github-desktop or a host system library it has loaded is trying to use the g_date_copy symbol, but the libglib-2.0.so.0 it has loaded doesn’t provide it. According to the docs, the symbol was added in 2.56.

here also met the same problem on ubuntu 18.04

Looking at the actual snap, it seems to include libglib-2.0.so.0 version 2.48.2.

It doesn’t include libgobject-2.0.so.0 though, despite it being needed by the github-desktop executable:

$ objdump -x app/github-desktop | grep libgobject
  NEEDED               libgobject-2.0.so.0

As a classic snap, it then picks the library from the host system. That library happens to use the g_date_copy symbol that doesn’t exist in the bundled libglib-2.0.so.0 and things explode.

CC’ing @popey and @Wimpress since this snap is published by snapcrafters. Is this something you guys worked on?

Firstly thank you for your interest.

Can we create a solution in this scenario?

This isn’t really something that a user can easily fix. It is up to the snap author to ensure their snap ships all the libraries it depends on.

I get it, thank you very much.